How can I get fit for army training?

I wish to get fitter so I can join the army and no where close to even passing the entry level,

I can do about 25 sit-ups in around a minute and 30 push-ups in the same time which is extremely bad I know :/ I don t have a proper training programme I do what I can when I m free but I don t feel it s enough

As for diet it s a little better I eat 3 square meals a day and including protein carbs and veg into it someday or another

Any help?

Someway* I also do eat fruit if I fancy a snack

Favorite Answer

With proper workouts, you can maximize your ability to succeed at the APFTest. For most males to be optimally prepared, you should be able to do 60-75 push-ups in two minutes, 65-80 sit-ups in two minutes, and clock in at 13 to 14:30 minutes for your two-mile run. For a female, be ready for 30-45 push-ups, 65-80 sit-ups and a 15:30-18:00 time for a two-mile run.

Here are your Quick & Dirty Tips to prepare for each part of the APFT:

Push-Ups

Strength and muscular endurance in your chest and shoulders are just one component of the push-up. For example, if you drop and do 20, and find that your arms don’t get tired, but your low back is sagging or your abs are hurting, you likely have issues with a weak core. If your shoulders sag or drop, you likely have weak scapula and upper back muscles. If your upper body does not get tired during the push-ups, but your legs feel unstable, you likely have weak quadriceps or hip muscles.

So to work yourself up to a high number of push-ups with good form, you should do:

Planking exercises (especially side and front plank)

Upper back exercises (pull-ups and seated rows)

Quadriceps and hip exercises (lunges and squats)

Push-ups. There is no better training for your upper body APFT preparation than push-ups. However, rather than simply doing the standard push-up, you can do harder variations of the push-up that will make the standard version seem easy!

Sit-Ups

There are 3 possible areas that can get tired or cramped when you’re completing a high number of sit-ups – your hip flexor muscles on the front of your legs, your neck, and of course, your abdominals.

Because of this, your sit-up preparation routine should include:

Hip flexor stretching (lunging hip flexor stretch)

Neck strengthening, which can be done by using a towel for resistance and moving your head in all four directions

Sit-ups. Similar to push-ups, there is no better training for your sit-up APFT preparation than sit-ups!

Two-Mile Run

Running two miles fast will require you to have a combination of fast leg turnover, hip extension strength, and cardiovascular endurance. Your run preparation should include:

Fast treadmill or downhill repeats, which will teach you to move your legs quickly

Steep hill repeats, which will build hip extensor and leg strength

Tempo running efforts at your goal pace for the two miles, which will build your cardiovascular endurance.

Army Physical Fitness Test Workout Plan

Using the information above, here is a sample APFT Workout Plan:

Monday - Full body resistance training workout

10-15 push-ups (add 1-2 per workout) or any of these push-up variations.

10-15 pull-ups or seated rows

10-15 front plank reaches or side plank rotations

10-15 squats or lunges

20-25 sit-ups (add 1-2 per workout)

30-second lunging hip flexor stretch for each side

Repeat steps 1-5, four to five times through with minimal rest, then finish with 15-20 repetitions in each direction of towel resisted neck bends.

Tuesday - Warm-up, then 10x60-second hill repeats, with full recover after each repeat

[[AdMiddle]Wednesday - Same as Monday

Thursday - Warm-up, then 20x30-second treadmill repeats at maximum sustainable pace, with full recovery after each repeat

Friday - Same as Monday and Wednesday

Saturday - Four to eight ¼ mile runs at your goal pace for the two mile run (add one repeat for each workout). Full recovery after each repeat. After 4 weeks, switch to ½ mile repeats.

Sunday - Rest, recovery, or sport of your choice.

Strengths and Weaknesses of the Army Physical Fitness Test

The push-up, the sit-up, and the two-mile run are simple, non-complex movements that are very easy to quantify and score. The most functional of these tests is the two- mile run, since an individual who is able to quickly complete two miles of intense running will likely be able to handle the cardiovascular requirements encountered on the battlefield or in day-to-day training.

In addition, because they are body weight exercises that require no extra equipment, the push-up and sit-up can be performed with a large number of individuals and a low risk of weight bearing injuries.

But compared to the push-up and sit-up, there are exercises that may be a better indicator of the functional strength and muscular endurance required in day-to-day military activities, such as the deadlift (picking a heavy weight off the ground), push press (hoisting a heavy weight overhead), and the torso twist (using the core muscles combined with the upper body muscles in a standing position). However, each of these exercises is more difficult to quantify and test.

An example of a more complete (but more complex) test is the Candidate Fitness Assessment used to test applicants to the Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, and Military Academy. This test involves:

Kneeling Basketball Throw

Cadence Pull-Ups

120 ft. Shuttle Run

Crunches 1:00

Push-Ups 1:00

1-Mile Run

As you can imagine, this type of test would involve much more equipment and tracking to implement than the APFT!

While I wish you all the luck in the world with your fitness program. That's not the main problem for you in joining the military. Your mental health issues are serious enough to forever PDQ you from the military. I suggest you concentrate on reining in and treating your "depression, anxiety and bipolar"(your words cupcake). Have a good day now.

According to you and your post history. You're batshit crazy.