I got a 74 on my ASVAB and I want to be an Intelligence Specialist for the Navy and I have a few questions?

1. Details on A and C school

2. Life as a Intelligence Specialists

3. What exactly would I be doing everyday

4. Do I get to go on a ship

Answers from people who've done and everyone else is greatly appreciated :)

Favorite Answer

Hey, I actually wanted to join as an intel specialist at first (got a 99 AFQT), so I think I can help you a bit.

A and C school are the two schools you go into after boot camp that teach you your specified skills. A school is for basic intelligence (it lasts about 13 weeks I think) and C school is for your specialty - Op Intel, Strike Planning, Naval Special Warfare, Imagery Intel, etc.

As an intel specialist you're going to have the same ship rotation as most others and you're going to spend a great deal of time collecting data and deciding which is useful and which is BS. Then you're going to use it to either deter future threats or save for future use. Say you get intel saying someone's shipping a bomb over - you and several other guys will stop said ship along with a few handy gunmen and check the ship. If you get it right, you look great, if you're wrong, you look like an ***.

If you choose something like Strike Planning or Special Warfare, you'll work closely with SEALs, AAV crewmen, Marines, you know, actual boots down soldiers. You'll give briefings and, if you become an officer, you won't go to war with them, but you'll tell them what they should be doing and what to look out for. If you choose Op Intel or Imagery Intel, you'll do a lot of your intelligence gather from behind a computer screen - utilizing SIGINT, MASINT, HUMINT, etc.

And lastly, yes, you'll get to go on a ship. :)

Something you should know too, Intelligence Specialist is a more difficult field to get into for two main reasons - (1) a lot of people want to do it and (2) your background check. Look up Standard Form 86 and make sure you have a spotless record before considering. If you pass and join as an intel specialist, you're going to have a lot of cool career options after the military - like jobs in the CIA, NSA, and FBI.

I plan on trying to become an Intel Specialist during the last 6 years of my 20 year Naval career. I'm started off as a CryptoTech Networker (CTN). I wish you luck, sailor.

• Mrsjvb
      4 years agoReport

you can forget being allowed to cross rate past E6. will not happen.

I am an IS, I got out of A and C school about a year ago. Mrsjvb is correct in saying that a lot of what your asking is confidential. When you get to bootcamp you won t meet any RDC or instructors with the IS rate (or any rate from the IDC community) because they rarely let us do anything other than our job. But I ll try and give you as much info as I can.

With a 74 on the asvab you should be able to get into the IS community without to much of a problem. Just depends on what s available. The background check is what most people have a problem with. Biggest thing is just be honest with whoever is helping you with your background investigation. They are looking for an honest person, so if you messed up somewhere in your life just be upfront with them. Most of the time they will be able to help you out.

A and C school are fun but they are a lot of work. It is smiliar to taking a college class during the summer months. A lot of information in a short amount of time. Its is hard but it can be done, you just need to be focused. A school is 13 weeks long, after you get through A school you go to C school. The length of C school depends on the NEC you get. C school could be anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 weeks. There are 4 different NECs that are available, you sort of get to choose which one you want. You will understand more when you get there.

Personally I love being an Intelligence Specialist. We have A LOT of fun, and we have some perks. For one your going to get automatically advanced to E4 after you finish C school. (You have to put time in rate from E-1 to E-3 but you are not required to take an advancement exam to E-4). Yes we use power point but we do way more than that. Its probably going to be a plus if your good with public speaking. And if your looking for a rate that translates into the civilian sector this is the rate for you. We can make a lot of money in the civilian world.

As far as what you do day today, a lot of that depends on what your NEC is and where your stationed. Its one od those things that is confidential as well. But like I said before, being an Intel Specialist is a lot more than just power point.

Yes you will be able to go on a ship, but if you don t want to go on a ship you could easily avoid it to. Hope that info helped, if you need anything else feel free to send me an email.

• gregory4 years agoReport

This helped a lot, Now I'm looking forward to it more than ever

• Mrsjvb

1: ain't gonna get any since the particulars are classified.

2: again, particulars are classified and there are a multitude of scenarios that you could wind up in.

3: WHAT PART OF CLASSIFIED ARE YOU NOT GETTING?!. I will give you this: learn Power Point.

4: maybe.