Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 5 years ago

what is the meaning of"None Precision instrument approach"?

Update 2:

Hope this Helpful workshop to all the aircraft lovers

https://youtu.be/GCBJSL5tBaU

Youtube thumbnail

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

the kind without the glideSLOPE part.. meaning the pilot (or the copilot, or navigator) has to calculate desired altitudes at given distances from the airport.

so, you basically keep the needle of the navigation pointing at the desired approach glidepath heading (plus, the winddrift correction) and maintain desirable descent rate, correcting the vertical speed according to readouts of your distances from touchdown (provided by DME, GPS, or simply by timing from your initial turn for NDB) you get two crosschecks usually, at the OM and MM. if you're grossly off desired glideslope, you'd call a missed approach.

most notably, VORDME, VOR, 2xVOR and NDB approaches. also, unless certified, ANY of the GPS-aided approaches.

Source(s): technically, bulk of my IFR training was performed on high-tech plane at a low-tech airbase.. we've been flying NDBGPS approaches from virtually any heading, emulating GPS only approaches to a random point on surface.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

In its most simple form it is basically a method of clearing cloud, down to a safe level, to a point where a visual approach can be made to a runway.

For instance, using an NDB you might pass over the NDB then turn to a suitable heading (which might not be the heading of the runway) and continue on that heading, descending at a set rate until you break cloud or reach a minimum safe altitude. From that point you proceed directly to the airfield. Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands, in the Tasman Sea still use this kind of procedure.

A step up from there is to come away from the NDB on the runway heading and be at set altitudes at set marker beacons along the approach path, being at minimum safe altitude by the time you reach the last one, being clear of cloud or going round.

You can also descend round an arc from a VOR at a given distance and step down as you pass various radials.

Any approach which does not directly guide you to the runway threshold, going in the right direction and on the right glideslope, is a non-precision approach.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I'm not sure where you got your earlier answers on the Latin translation, but forget about them - mainly because 'luminus' is not a word in Latin. There is a Latin word 'luminATus,' and there is a Latin word 'sono.' 'Luminatus' is the past participle of the verb 'luminare,' and it means 'illuminated, lit up, having been given light, etc.' 'Sono' is also a good word, with a couple of meanings. One is as a verb - sono, sonare. There, it means 'I make a sound, I speak, I am heard, etc.' The other is a noun form - ablative singular of the noun 'sonus,' which meand 'noise, sound.' The ablative case has several uses, one of the main ones of which is showing the means or instrument for an action. That seems to fit here. Sono illuminatus = Illuminated by (means of) sound. That's good for one masculine thing as an antecedent. Even assuming it's an error for 'sono luminatus,' that is not an established Latin term used in music. It was probably coined recently, and many modern musical phrases in 'Latin' are actually pseudo-Latin or garbage transaltions. Why did it show up twice in music? Plagiarism?

• 5 years ago

instrument approach with no vertical guidance. descend to the mda stay at that altitude until you see the airport or hit your missed approach point.

Source(s): ifr 101
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

A non-precision approach does not have glide slope guidance (like ILS have).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.