Truth
Lv 7
Truth asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 6 years ago

who would have won, magnus carlsen or bobby fischer?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think that for a VERY short time, Bobby Fischer was the greatest chess genius that the world has ever seen.

If he could have been transported to any era, forwards or backwards in time, with the benefit of his enthusiasm and voracious accumulation of insightful knowledge of the chess that was being played in that particular era:

..... he would beat any other elite player that could be similarly transported to that same era.

There are perhaps only two or three players who could have any hope of playing on a par with him, without being humiliated:

José Capablanca; Garry Kasparov;

..... and Magnus Carlsen:

who is still young enough to develop his talents even further and perhaps become the greatest of all time.

If only we could somehow see a tournament between those four players at their best,

Capablanca; Fischer; Kasparov; Carlsen.

allowing for further improvements that can still be expected from the current World Champion during his on-going career.

It would be close, but my money would be on Fischer to win the tournament, however, if they were then to play a few subsequent world championship candidates' eliminators over a period of another year, or so

Fischer would probably have burned himself out and/or descended into his psychological problems then been surpassed by the other three.

Greatest World Champion of all time? no doubt about it in my mind - it has to be Garry Kasparov on account of the longevity of his dominance, and the ELO rating differential that he maintained above his closest rivals for such a long time.

But Carlsen is the only one that seems to me to have the potential to become Kasparov's equal in terms of long term dominance.

Conclusion: at his VERY BEST - Fischer.

• 6 years ago

I tend to think that Bobby Fischer would have won, by about 1 point over some 21 games, with something like 10 games tied.

Not that Magnus isn't brilliant, but he has a tendency to take risks, which often result in avoiding draws. I admire him for it, in a way, but it does open up the possibility to lose when one should have won or at least reached a draw.

Fischer did much the same thing, but was less likely to lose.

But, regardless, it would have been an interesting match-up...

• 6 years ago

Bobby Fischer. The grandmasters took a vote to see who was the best chess player that ever lived. Bobby Fischer won the vote. It wasn't because they liked him as a man. He was just insanely good of a chess player.

• 6 years ago

Both at their peak, magnus carlsen very,very easily. Fischer had the talent but he played '70's chess at his peak. A bit like racing a '70's model formula 1 car against the latest.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • nelms
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Bobby Fischer Magnus Carlsen

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Carlsen, but only just. He has the advantage of 40+ years of game knowledge, for a start. But what a dream match!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.