I am looking at getting a leopard gecko. I want to know what is best for heating/lighting?

I have owned and currently own a chameleon. The heating/lighting is quite simple, day time need the heat and the Uv then night switch to a red/blue lamp with lower watt. But with the gecko , I understand i need a heating mat for at least 1/3 of the cage. I know that I should use a nighttime lamp as well, but how... show more I have owned and currently own a chameleon. The heating/lighting is quite simple, day time need the heat and the Uv then night switch to a red/blue lamp with lower watt. But with the gecko , I understand i need a heating mat for at least 1/3 of the cage. I know that I should use a nighttime lamp as well, but how does that work... During the day I would have them both on.. But then at night should i turn off the lamp and keep the pad on? OR do i keep the lamp on and turn off the pad? I know that the cage needs to be cooler at night, and im quite confused about how to go about this dilemma.