Which branch of the U.S. Military should I join?

I am a senior in High School and plan on Joining the military after graduation. My career choice is to become a EMT-Paramedic. Currently I have talked to and Army recruiter and am interested is the 68W MOS (Combat Medic). I am very interested in the Army as it is currently my number one pick. With that being said, a lot of my friends, both men and women, have been joining the Air Force and I have been getting a lot of crap from others about the Army. Why is everyone joining the Air Force as oppose to the Army? Which branch of the Military is best for me? 17, F, TX

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Your choice of branch depends firstly on your ASVAB score. But as far as personal preference goes it is up to you. The air force has better living quarters and more respect for the privacy of its personnel. Also, you receive college credit in tech school for learning and training to do your MOS. Also, the Air Force is less likely to go to war. I have heard that Air Force BMT is easier than basic training in other branches. However, the Army is also great branch. You receive job training. Active duty single personnel receive free housing, free food, free medical and dental. Also, you will receive an allowance for uniforms. You will be taught values and leadership skills. The Army will give you a sense of values, tradition, pride, responsibility, discipline, and respect. It also builds character. Many employers like to hire veterans so there will be future civilian opportunities. The choice is yours and what would make you happy. It is about what if you meet the qualifications and what you think is best for your future not what your friends think. You may nit see many of these people after high school so listen to you and not them. Best of luck to you . Thank you for your interest in serving our country.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems reasonable. If you join a branch of the military and want to become a medic, you'll probably learn the exact same things you would if you had joined a different branch. Medical attention is medical attention. Some branches just expect more from the medics, like the Army and USMC, because you'll be out with the unit where as a medic on a naval ship doesn't have to travel in the way someone from the Army or Marines does. Just ignore the people giving you crap about your decision for which branch to join. If anything, they probably think they didn't have what it takes to be in the Army, so they go with the next thing on the list that seems easier.

Honestly, if you want to make the absolute most of your military career. Go Air Force. Stay in for at least 4 years and get out and take your training with you. Air Force is the most accommodating of the Military Branches for family. Army brags about the Families of Soldiers but doesn't really care...it's a numbers game.

Source(s): 13 Years Active Duty Army 19D.

I suggest joining the Air Force because the training to become a combat medic is better than the training in the Army. I also suggest after your service you use the benefits given to veterans to enter college so you can become a nurse. Nurses are desperately needed in both the military VA hospitals and civilian hospitals. There's an acute shortage of nurses and with the experience you will have gained in the military and a nursing degree you will be in high demand as an emergency room nurse. You will be well paid.

• Rajon

Do what you want, Air Force is known for it's quality of life. Which is another reason why it's joked as the Chair Force. My interest is computers so I leaned towards the Air Force.

Plenty of 68W in this forum too their opinion is more valuable then mines to you.

As long as you haven't signed a contract yet (Enter DEP.) You're free to window shop for branches.

Be sure that branch is the one before signing any contract.

If you would like I can recommend some Air Force sources that helped close my decision to go Air Force.

Source(s): 17 Air Force DEP.
  • Blunt

It doesn't matter what you want, it is 1- what the military needs and 2- what your scores would get you. Both conditions would apply.

Whatever branch is best for you only you can decide, better still, whatever recruiter gets to you faster.

I do t think there is a "better" branch, I only know about the Army life and only of that can I talk about, however, it is widely known the AF has better housing, their military bases are typically in decent size towns and their PT supposedly easier, and legend has it, they are all fat because of it lol!

Army is usually the second choice for those that couldnt get into the Air Force or the Marines. But don't let that stop you - being the biggest branch it needs lots and lots of people.

• ?

Join the Navy or Coast Guard, stay in long enough to become an Independent Duty Corpsman, by far thee best trained, paramedical personnel in the world

• Greco

Air Force Pararescue is the way to go. In addition to the other training you're trained to be a paramedic too.

You have to pass a physical stamina test, which means be in great shape and know how to swim good. You have to enlist for 5 years because the training takes 2 years.

The branch which will help you reach your career goals. right now, does not apear you have the maturity to join Grow up[ a little/