What Information Can I Trust?

My very liberal professor keeps talking about how the news and the government and big companies distort facts and reason to keep the american people brainwashed. Im not stupid i knew the media and government distort the truth in order to promote a sense of xenophobic american patriotism but I've just been thinking about it lately and I'm confused as to what information i can really trust? What source is really trustworthy? what statistic is actually true and not made up? thanks

• Erin
    Favorite Answer

The most trustworthy sources are peer-edited academic journals, but you mostly only find them in college libraries (inc. online college libraries). They're more reliable because they disclose their specific research methodology and statistical models, and then open it up to other experts in the field to critique or repeat the research.

But these certainly don't count as "popular media" sources. In the popular media.... there's not really any such thing as total objectivity, but certainly some sources are proven more reliable than others. One good option is to read from a variety of sources so you can get a diversity of perspectives.

For more information and useful tips, google "media literacy".

Just because your professor is liberal does not mean he is telling you the wrong thing, but since most media sources are biased in favor of entertainment and ratings, I would rule them out.

I find the BBC, the Guardian and the Christian Science Monitor to be the most accurate and objective news sources. www.csmonitor.com

You can only trust your own logic and instinct.Look at all sources,read between the lines,look for patterns,and draw logical conclusions.

Media bias is driven by media consumers

i tell you what's what