Michael asked in HealthMental Health · 5 years ago

Things periodically seem smaller?

Sometimes, maybe 1 or 2 times a week, I get this weird feeling that everything around me is smaller than usual. I'll look at my phone in my hand, and it looks smaller than usual. I'll pour myself some cereal, and the bowl looks smaller. I feel like maybe I'm a bit bigger? The feeling and visuals don't last too long, and aren't that serious. Just trying to put a name to the feeling.

I have this and I have epilepsy. It really freaks me out because sometimes things seem really close and other times they are really far away. An explanation:

Micropsia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Micropsia

Micropsia is a condition affecting human visual perception in which objects are perceived to be smaller than they actually are. Micropsia can be caused by optical factors (such as wearing glasses), by distortion of images in the eye (such as optically, via swelling of the cornea or from changes in the shape of the retina such as from retinal edema, macular degeneration, or central serous retinopathy), by changes in the brain (such as from traumatic brain injury, epilepsy, migraines, prescription drugs, and illicit drugs), and from psychological factors. Dissociative phenomena are linked with micropsia, which may be the result of brain-lateralization disturbance.

Source(s): I have it.

Weird that happens to me too. I look at my hand and it looks small. I know how you feel. But I am sorry I don't know why this happens.