promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 years ago

What if your character has a namesake?

For example my character is named michael smith and when I google this name, I come across a real michael smith.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That doesnt matter. Almost every name has been used before. Like whatever your name is there is most likely another person in the world with the exact same name. Just don't make it too obvious like Brad Pitt :)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

Yeah, don't worry about that. Try looking up a name in a book, and if it's a modern day common name, you're probably going to find a real person with that name. But that's fine, hell real life people can sometimes share names with other people.

• 5 years ago

Unless you're claiming this real person is the person in your book, you don't have to worry about people who have the same name as fictional characters. See Michael Bolton from Office Space. His name is a running gag due to the famous musician.

• 5 years ago

I type in my character's name into Google and it comes back with 665,000 results.

Don't worry. Nobody can sue you for using their name, unless you're intentionally basing your book off someone who really exists and you use their name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Don't worry about it. Writers put disclaimers at the beginning of their books.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.