Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 years ago

Will Obama put soldiers in Iraq and Syria to fight ISIS anytime soon?

It is quite evident that the Obama administration thinks that the Islamic State and everything going on over there is a joke, I was just wondering if Obama will ever wake up and actually realize how serious the situation is over there and do something about it.

• AD
    Favorite Answer

There are already servicemembers rotating into Iraq, a lot of the units that are doing rotations into Kuwait are flying some of their troops into Iraq. Many of them are in support roles, but some of them have more direct roles in the fight.

As for actually leading assaults against ISIS, it is about time for the Iraqi military to get their heads out of their behinds and learn how to fight. Otherwise, they will always expect us to fight for them while they run and hide from ISIS like they did after we left in 2011.

• AD
      5 years agoReport

There's less than 1.4 million people on active duty right now. Sending 350,000 ground troops would put a fourth of them over there at any given time, and the majority of them would be from the Army and Marines. People would be deploying every other year for at least 12-18 months a deployment.

He's only got 1 and 1/4 year left in office so I'd say no- his successor might provided that they and Obama continue to be stupid.

ISIS has a habit of winding up with the weapons intended for the so called "moderate Syrian rebels" and second the Russians have plans to increase their involvement-to fight ISIS. Personally I think we should be encoraging them to do that- I don't like Assad but he is the lesser of two evils and we'll see Jihadi killed on someone else's dime.

• jimmy

Sending troops to Syria would be seen as an invasion of a sovereign nation. If the USA can send troops to Syria without the approval of the Syrian government, why can't the Russians send troops to the Ukraine?

• Trevor

That wouldn't be Obama's decision. The United Nations discuss the situation and decide if any action should be taken against ISIS.

You just cant send troops into any country you think there is a problem. without it being sanctioned.

President Barack Obama on Wednesday made the case for Congress to formally authorize the use of military force in the war against ISIS, declaring that congressional passage of the measure makes the U.S. "strongest" in the fight, and that "ISIL is going to lose."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/politics/isis-aumf-w...

Obamas doing something right for once.

• The middle east could burn down and obama wouldn't put troops in...he is completely invested in his left wing ideological opposition to Bush putting troops in Iraq and nothing on earth will allow him to just say...sorry I screwed up, we should have left a Regiment of Marines or Army in Iraq to keep things stable....but his hubris won't allow him to do that...he is the very worst type of "leader".

Source(s): a U.S. Marine vet who spent 11 months in Iraq in 2004-2005 (3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, attached to 31st MEU, Regimental Combat Team I), mostly in anbar province. I am now a multi degreed engineer and doctoral candidate working for America's largest defense contractor.
    • I was going to consider putting your response as the best answer but I think you make a very clear point on how Obama just has no idea of the power behind this group and I think he made a very bad decision by pulling out everyone in Iraq. I am proud that you served in Iraq, I respect you for that.

Obama wouldn't defend the US if China and Russia invaded LA and New York. He's hide in a bunker yet tell the military not to fire, even in self defense.

Let s sure hope not! Up to this point Obama has by far been an incredibly bad CIC, and there isn't any reason to think anything in the future will cause an improvement in that evaluation.

.

King Barry? LEAD? Riiiiight

We ALREADY have troops in Iraq (look it up, still there) same in the war that "ended" in Afghanistan too (most don't even know it "ended" but it did)

Syria...........drones.