Amazing authors better than shakespeare and why? Preferably someone that teenagers can relate to.?

I need to make a persuasive PowerPoint on why Shakespeare doesn't deserve all the accolades. So far I've got Dr Suess and Roald Dahl but these are children's authors. I need authors for young adults

Favorite Answer

Whether authors are better than others is all about perspective. However, some good YA novelists include John Green (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns) J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter) and Margaret Peterson Haddix (The Shadow Children Series, The Missing Series). It also depends on what you're looking for. John Green writes mostly about protagonists and settings that most people can relate to. These people are so normal, they could be your next door neighbor. J.K. Rowling likes to write fantasy - books filled with magic and seemingly other worlds. Haddix is a mixture; one book may have her protagonists as very normal people in normal settings, whereas the next may be about her main characters traveling through time. All three of these authors are quite accomplished, and teenagers and young adults flock to their books like pigeons to birdseed.

• Rose D

The problem is that the young adult genre is so new. It's only existed for 20 years or so, if that. So your pool of candidates is tiny. Teenagers can easily relate to real, adult authors. Give them credit for not being idiots.

Personally, I'd say Stephen King is a modern Shakespeare. He writes for the masses. He writes stories that resonate with a lot of people. He has a sly sense of humor. He talks about the human condition in a way that's entertaining for the average person. Teenagers should be able to relate to most of King's works as well.

Don't get me wrong -- Dr. Seuss is great. But Shakespeare is . . . too much a part of the English language and literature to get rid of.

But I do agree, maybe not for teenagers. A lot of the themes are better appreciated by people who have lived life, and let's face it, the language is difficult. And they are meant to be watched, not read.

For teenagers, a shifting carousel of contemporary authors should be the main menu. The books should talk to concerns that they have, and be in language that most of them can understand. And if possible, they should hint at the classics as a good place to learn stuff. John Green isn't "better than Shakespeare" and neither is J.K. Rowling. But their stuff is accessible and does touch on the great themes of life.

You'd have to argue that teenagers still need training wheels.

A hundred years ago, people were arguing that truly educated teenagers needed to be able to read classics in the original Greek and Latin. And knowing French, German and Italian was also considered part of a well-rounded education.

Kinda makes me sad to think that Shakespeare and his early modern English is "too hard" for teens today.

• Edward

Dante Alighieri, also wrote in verse form and predated Shakespeare, as did also Homer and Vergil.

Plautus wrote better comedies.

Jonathan Swift was more satirical.

And Richard Brautigan who wrote both prose and poetry that has a better reach toward the common man.

I could go on. Shakespeare is not the be all and end all of literature.

I couldn't tell you, because shakespeare was amazing ;) You could mention the writer of hunger games or the giver, sure hunger games may be over rated, but the authors are amazing because they can enter you into an alternate universe. Impressive eh? What do I know, I'm only thirteen.

• Tina

The first author's name is spelled 'Seuss' - it's the pen-name of Theodor Seuss Geisel who is best known for his picture books for the very young. Roald Dahl wrote for adults as well as children.

Neither of them can be compared with Shakespeare, not because there's anything lacking in them but because you can't compare 'Hamlet' to a child's picture book or to any of Dahl's works. Any more than you can compare cheese with diamonds - or coal. They're different things with different uses.

Fail. Utter, complete fail.

The fact that you're doing a "Power Point" instead of writing an actual reasoned essay guarantees that you'll fail.

This is sort of like trying to prove a mathematical theorem by drawing a crude picture with crayons on a cave wall and saying, "see, these two angles sort of look the same size."

• Girl Puncher
      5 years agoReport

Apparently, you've never seen anyone prove Pythagoras' Theorem graphically. I still agree it is a fail, but mostly because the person think Roald Dahl is in the same league as Shakespeare.

• Elaine

Since Shakespeare tells his stories in the form of plays you would be better off comparing him to other playwrights such as Marlowe, Ibsen, Miller, etc.

• Them

You won't find anybody better than Shakespeare........ so your job is going to be tough. But try Chaucer. He's considered #2 best English poet. His stuff is delicious............ but it ain't Shakespeare.

Oh, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!

How absurd. You are being uneducated, if I can invent a word (which Shakespeare did often). And you sound quite silly.