Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

Therapy dogs- please help me!?

How can I get a therapy dog of my own? I was told that the state will pay for it. I need a therapy dog but don't know how to get a therapy dog. I will greatly benefit from it. Please help me!!!!!! :|

• Pamela
    Favorite Answer

Therapy Dogs are trained by the owners and then tested for use in hospitals and nursing homes and schools as healing aids for sick people.

They are not for personal use.

Emotional Support Dogs are for people who have behavior disorders and suffer from depression, these dogs are nothing more then PETS.

Service or Guide dogs are specially trained dog to do jobs for people who are blind and disables.

Unless you have some severe disability you can not get a service dog.

Same with guide dogs, you must be legally blind.

The two later ones you need to have letters or prescriptions from qualified Doctors to verify you need them.

Therapy Dogs and ESD will not get you into apartments or houses that have No Pet Policies.

Guide and Service dogs can though.

You don't even know what you're talking about! A therapy dog is a dog that somebody takes into a hospital or retirement home to make people feel better! You MAY mean a service dog but you have to have a disability and a doctor prescribe one for you but they are thousands of dollars and the state may HELP you pay for it but they won't pick up the whole tab. So before you go whining about "needing" a dog I suggest you go ask your mommy and daddy again for one and stop making stuff up because you're coming off like a spoiled 7 year old who hasn't been told "no" nearly enough.

You don't 'need' a therapy dog.

A therapy dog visits, hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, etc and only if invited, otherwise it's nothing more than a pet, with the same restrictions as any other pet, just like and ESA.

The only person that benefits from a therapy dog are the people in the above mentioned facilities.

You cant

A therapy dog is a dog that is TRAINED and has passed its CGC test and helps others. Not its owner

You are not disabled so you can't have a service dog and you won't benefit at all from a ESA since all they are is pets that you use as a very unhealthy crutch

Since you are a child you can't own, adopt or buy a dog and since no one needs one you can't have one

• J C

Do you even know what a therapy dog is? It isn't one for you, it's a dog that's passed several levels of obedience training starting with the Canine Good Citizen. These dogs are then taken by their owner into places like hospice, homes for the elderly, group homes for the mentally challenged, etc. If you want some sort of assistance dog you need to be physically handicapped, or declared to have a mental illness. It has to be prescribed by the doctor who has diagnosed your issue. And no, the state does not necessarily pay for it.

Oh please. You're yet another person who thinks they can abuse the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If you can't afford a pet the state isn't going to buy and care for one for you. If you were BLIND, perhaps there would be a program that could provide a TRAINED SERVICE DOG but that doesn't apply to you.

• ?

Your going to need a bigger explanation than “I will greatly benefit from it” You sound like a child that just wants to take your dog everywhere and live off of the government. Grow up.