Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I read R as RL?

Like Are become Arle, and errr become errrrll. How can I remove the L? Cause the think i have rhotacism

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The R sound is among the most difficult for non-Americans to produce and Americans aren't so good at it always either, it requires a weird formation of the tongue that not everyone can do all the time. The L sound is made with the tongue pressed against the backs of your teeth. For some people, this is very close to the resting state of the tongue. So the way to eliminate the L sound is to either replace it with something else or stop your breath sound before that happens.

You can practice with words that have R sounds with other consonants right after them, like:

ermine

argon

ursine

archeology

cartel

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.