Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 6 years ago

Is listening to loud music bad for your ears?

I listen to music with earphones most of the time but I'm afraid I'm doing my ears damage. Some of my music is on the louder side of the spectrum. You know like Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, August Burns Red etc. Some of it involves "screamo." Can it make you go deaf to listen to loud music for a long period of time? I don't want to have bad hearing when I'm older.

• Danny
    Favorite Answer

Maybe. It's mainly the sheer power of the music, or noise, as measured in "decibles"/SPL specs. Some bands in concert project a dangerously loud level, say around the same as walking under a jet airliner taking off. Being down directly in front of the band, or worse yet, directly in front of a left or right side speaker array about the size of your car is totally risky without some type of ear protection. 'Ditto being right next to a Top-Fuel drag vehicle, 'that kind of thing. Loads of data on this subject on the web.

Back here, I gotta say I feel a little sad for people who have never learned anything about the differences in quality in different sound systems. I would much rather hear the whole thing, accurately, at say 100w amplification, than some monster 1000w thingy that obscures the details and just shakes windows.

Believe me, I love it punched up. I've spent nights in motels after a stage performance with "...the echos of the amplifiers still ringing in (my) ears..."(Bob Seeger), and blown out some good headphones. Good genetics aside, I was just lucky, no loss. Wish I could say the same about the cigarrettes, which I was also warned about.

Why chance it? If you loose sensory ability, you don't get a do-over. Learn more.

Source(s): Blasting music since the 1960's.
  • faina

Listening To Music Too Loud

Over time, yes. If you're using ear buds that go in your ear and put the sound up to a high number/volume, you can hurt you eardrum/hearing in the future. It's best to use ear buds sparingly (not all day, every day in other words) and when you DO use them, make sure to keep the volume at an appropriate level (if others near you can hear it, it's too loud). You can also use "old school" earphones (the non-bud type that go over your head) too since they're not as close to your internal ear parts as buds are.

Also, it isn't just a certain kind of music. If you were blasting the blues at really loud volumes you could hurt your hearing just the same.

• Blah

Yes, earbuds are really bad for your ears because they are blasting sound waves directly into your earbuds. If you're going to use them, make sure the volume is pretty low! It's better to use headphones that don't go inside of your ears but can still be pretty bad but you can have the volume a bit higher. The best option is to wear those headphones that block outside noises so that you don't have to play your music as loud.

Just to put it a little bit more into perspective. I had a physics teacher who talked to us about earbuds. He said that young people who used them regularly had the worst hearing and couldn't hear certain decimals that even an old professor could. But they can also cause some serious damage other than making you lose your hearing and it can become painful.

Also, my physics teacher said that he expects those earbuds to eventually become banned (or be given restrictions) once everyone realizes just how bad they are for you. Sort of like how everyone used to be all into cigarettes until they realized that they caused lung cancer and now there are all sorts of restrictions for them.

• Gary B

YES!!!!!

And it doesn't matter WHY it is loud, or what kind of music it is.. Listening to too-loud music with headphones, playing metal music guitar while standing in front of a 400 watt stack, or playing viola while setting in front of the brass section in a symphonies orchestras will ALL RUIN your hearing.

I'm one of the last ones. I spent almost 50 years playing percussion with symphony orchestras, jazz combos, and Big Bands (like Michael Buble). I'm almost 70, and I have an almost 80% hearing loss, and I;ve had SEVERE hearing loss (more than 25%) for almost 30 years.

TURN IT THE F*** DOWN!

Most "deaf"initely...

You'll get a constant ringing in your ears. When several people are speaking at the same time your ears can't stay focused on one conversation because only certain frequencies get through.

It reminds me of an older radio where you turn the knob over 5-6 stations and get tiny bits from each.

yes.

and it's not just bad hearing you need to fear. Hearing loss is one thing, but a constant ringing in your ears can drive you nuts. While i've gotten somewhat used to some ringing, I can no longer go to live shows or even movies because they are too loud. My ears can scream so loud i cannot sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Eo9ZfjXbI

Youtube thumbnail

If you value your ear drums and prefer not to cause excessive wax buildup, tinnitus and eventual deafness, then you'll think twice about torturing your ear canals with loud music.

• Entity

WHAT???? HUH?? LOL! Yes, it is very bad for your ears. I lost the hearing in my left ear, after playing in a band for 8 years.

yes, you should actually really be mindful of this. loud sounds cause damage to tiny hair cells in your ears, and with repeated exposure, you can lose your hearing.