I feel that I have been denied a promotion because I was hospitalized for depression/medication adjustments. Can I sue my employer?

I have been with my current employer for a year and two months, and helped set the store up before we opened to the public. My original associates and I learned many skills that the "new" hires have not: names of racks,, how to read a floor plan, etc. I was assigned to the Misses/juniors departments,... show more I have been with my current employer for a year and two months, and helped set the store up before we opened to the public. My original associates and I learned many skills that the "new" hires have not: names of racks,, how to read a floor plan, etc.

I was assigned to the Misses/juniors departments, and have worked these
areas ever since. I show up on time, outside of uncontrollable circumstances such as college classes running over, family issues, or simply misreading the schedule. This is rare, and I contact my employer in advance. I have been recognized for my customer service skills and knowledge of my department and products, as well as my teamwork skills and friendliness.

Naturally, when the position opened up, I applied,

About a month ago, however, I had a depressive episode due to medication problems which resulted in an involuntary five-day hospitalization. My mother contacted my employer to explain the situation, as I was unable to use the phone from the BHU. While here, my medication was adjusted and so was my
diagnosis. A day after being discharged, I showed up to work as I was scheduled

A month later, I was in the hospital for medication again for a day. I had to call in.

Today I found out that everyone who applied for the position was interviewed, and I was never contacted. The position went to a girl in guest service, who had no prior floor experience and had noprior retail training.

I was the only one not contacted. Can I sue?
Update: Well, Its not just what I feel, and you would have known that if you read more than the title.