m asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 years ago

Can I get rhinoplasty in the Navy? Invisalign in the navy?

I do not expect them to pay for it. I am totally willing to pay out of pocket and to go and see a civilian. I am just wondering if A) Can I get it done. B) What would I have to do to get it approved? I have heard different things.

Also, I was wondering can I get invisalign with the insurance provided by the Navy?

Favorite Answer

Neither a nose job nor braces would be covered by Navy insurance. Both are completely elective. You would need approval from your primary care physician in the Navy and from your unit commander. You would have to use your own accrued leave for convalescent time off. The Navy would not give you free convalescent leave for an elective procedure. The Navy also does not pay for braces, whether the traditional kind of Invisalign. Braces are only paid for in the military when it is for a medical reason, such as someone's jaw getting busted up really bad. Braces for cosmetic reasons are paid for by you. Again, you would need permission from your primary care provider and from your unit commander. If your commander thinks it would in any way interfere with the unit mission (ie, regular braces need regular check ups and readjustments, so someone on sea rotation would not always have access to an orthodontists), he can deny your request.

You might be able to get the rhinoplasty done/paid for by the Navy if you can prove that it disrupts your breathing. Same idea with the Invisalign... Misaligned teeth can cause headaches, jaw aches, and TMJ.

• Mrsjvb

nope

any and ALL medical procedures must be cleared by your PCM and if not medically necessary you must take regular chargeable leave to recover.

• Amber

contrary to popular belief you can get braces while on active duty, I did and my father did.