Rose Plant?

Hello. i have a rose plant. whenever i have a rose flower it only lasts 2 days. on the 3rd day it begins to dry. sometimes it even lasts 1 day.

is this normal? what is the lifespam of a rose flower ususally?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary C
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Rose flowers don't last long. That's why they are such a commn poetic metaphor for youth and beauty (or for young love).

But they shouldn't dry up after a day or two. They should open up more and more for 2-3 days and then the petals should fall off and (if the rose was pollinatedby bees or other pollinators) the "hips" (the rose fruit) should start to develop.

• 5 years ago

Depends on the rose variety, some have such thin petals they shrivel up in excessive sun. I'd be looking at another problem for you, thrips. Tiny insects that get inside the unopened buds and suck the juices from the flower so when, actually it, it opens, it is weakened and dies quickly. I have trouble with my lighter colored roses, rarely have thrips on the darker colors. Treatment is to spray the buds, not the whole bush, with acephate--Orthene is the most common name.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Blossoms can last up to 4-5 days..another blossoming behind the spent blossom when the rose is blooming profusely,the rose bush..is a contented one..Roses are picky..ooh,be true..no matter what way you toss the coin..this flower..wants what it wants..or it will wither,and rather die..Try seeking more nutrients depending on where you live,that your roses may be needing..pruning in the proper time is also,very important for the following seasons blooms,check for pests,eliminate them if they exist,sun..plenty of sun..shading..after a humid,sultry day..and..love..much love..this flower..is love..and,requires it.~*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LBODTEgoFg

Youtube thumbnail

• Marduk
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

About 2 or 3 days. Flowers are not important, they are precursors for seed. Hybrids have extended the flowering and got rid of the seeds but only so far.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.