Why is the bottom of my second toe numb?

For the past two weeks or so, I've noticed "numbness" on the bottom of the toe next to my big toe, on my left foot. I spent the prior week in Germany, walking 2+ miles per day (without proper shoes, and some days without socks), and developed some callusing on the pad of my feet near where my toes begin, most significantly where my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th toes are.

I first noticed the "numbness" (and I quote it because it's not clear whether its a numbness or a tingle.. it's just weird - I feel a dull feeling when pressing down on the tip of my 2nd toe on the ground, but not when I touch it with my hand) on my layover on my way back home, and it's been continuing on and off.

One concern is that I am at slight risk for diabetes due to being overweight, and with my dad having blood sugar issues. I don't believe the toe issue is related though as I did have blood work about 6 months ago and I came back with great results and no worries.

Should I get this checked out with a podiatrist? I'm wondering if the callus can be positioned as such that it's pressuring a nerve in the right spot? I would have assumed it would go away by now but it's two weeks later.

I have a history of lots of calluses on my feet but none have caused a problem before aside from standard callus discomfort.

Age: 23

Sex: M

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 235

Race: Caucasian

Duration of complaint: 6 days

Location: left foot, tip of second toe

Any existing relevant medical issues: none

Current medications: none

Favorite Answer

Some people experience exercise-associated toe numbness, especially after engaging in high-impact exercises, such as running, walking long distances, playing sports ect. This is because the nerves are frequently compressed while exercising. The numbness should subside fairly quickly after you stop exercising. Saying that, the less time that the exercise takes place the quicker the nerve recovers, however with daily walking exercise that you have done with those boots on, the nerves will take longer to heal, and also places risks to the nerve of becoming inflamed. Also, you may have aggravated a nerve doing that length of walking in those boots. Boots constrict the foot in a way where the nerves are fairly compressed. You could have an inflamed nerve in your foot from your activity, or even have something like Morton's neuroma which is also from long constricting of the nerves in the foot, generally from footwear . But no one can give you a diagnose over the net, you should consider seeing a neurologist for a consult to discuss this and get a professional diagnoses. Some serious diseases start off by simple toe numbness so you should really consider getting this checked out by a medical professional, especially since it has been 2 weeks. If the numbness is from an inflamed nerve icing that foot should help that feel better, also taking Ibuprofen can help it too! Feel better!

• Jordan S4 years agoReport

Great answer, thank you! I've called up a podiatrist to see if I can get a consult, but it seems like I may need to visit a neurologist. I'll try icing the foot and taking some ibuprofen to see what happens as well.

You should go to the doctor immediately! I'm 14. My mother has this desease, and it's due to walking and not sitting down for hours as well. She can't currently walk or dress herself, and her whole leg is numb. Please go to the doctor and get treatment, it can be the same thing.

Numb Second Toe