Solid State Drive, or Hard Drive?

I'm looking to get a new laptop for myself, and I want to know if I should just get a hard drive or a solid state drive in it... I will use the computer for close to 7 years once I have it, and I don't want to swap hard drives in that time period. A 128gb SSD is enough for me, but should I spend the same amount of money on a 500gb HDD instead? Which option is better?

Favorite Answer

Why SSD is Better

• Faster Transfer Rate

• less chance of corruption

• no noise

• longer lasting

Why a Hard Drive is better

• Cheaper

• more capacity

__________

IMO if you are just using a laptop and have a desktop already for storage and you have the $$ to spend then i would defiantly get a SSD.

if you don't have another computer and and need a lot a space then just get a hard drive you can get 1T for the price of a 250g SSD I belive

• David

With the Acer Aspire (One), it depends what You want to do with it since it's completely portable, and designed to be lightweight. For the benefits of the SSD at 8Gigs ; 1) It's a VERY small hard drive and can be backed up completely onto a new flasdhdrive with backup software, which would take up some space to keep installed of course. 2) It's a fast technology, although it will still be faster than XP in general and the RAM anyway. 3) It's much faster and simpl;er to recover with the same hardware if there is a virus problem, from a flashdrive image, but more difficult to recover Your own files from in a virus incident if there;s no recent enough backup done. The benefits of the 160Gig drive (My choice too) ; 1) It's a huge hard drive, and will store anything You need to have installed, including a Vista upgrade when there's a version stable enough and made for lower-media hardware (which is just so anti-Vista in design). 2) It's a standardized SATA hard drive, which means the connector will take another standardized SATA hard drive. This is useful for several reasons, including swapping out drives between travel and secured data You don;t wnat to lose in case of theft, or switching between entertainment and work trips, or Vista and Linux, and XP as Your needs change. 3) It's replaceable in case of a virus with a cheaper than SSD hard drive, which will probably be 1.5terabytes available in the next 3 months (SATA). 4) It can be divided into many more partition for file organizations and archivings, or password protecting an entire partition. Good luck!.

• Flexon

An SSD is a lot faster which means Windows and programs will load a lot quicker. On the other hand 128 GB is very small, especially as software and games are constantly growing in size.

You will just have to decide what's more important. Loading times or harddrive space. If you choose the SSD you probably will need some external storage at some point. No way you can do with 128 GB for seven years (unless you never transfer any big files to it, such as pictures or videos, and never install new programs).

Off course, SSD (Solid State Drive.)

• David

You will find a 128GB SSD rapidly fill up over time. I would recommend a minimum of 250GB SSD or you could consider a hybrid drive or SSHD which is a regular drive with a small 8-32GB combination SSD. It appears as one drive but performs better than a standard drive but not as fast as a pure SSD but has the capacity of a large hard drive (500GB-1TB)

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/...

SSD - Solid State Drive is much much faster than HDD.if you don't need alot of space best choice will be SSD.

An SSD! An SSD will last you 7 years, a hard drive will start to get slow thus making your computer slow.

SSD got much faster writting and reading speed than HDD.but SSD always has no large storage capacity and is more expensive.so its usually used on the "point". like to carry the OS and some games and software.that highly-required writting and reading speed.if you want better speed and large storage.i suggest you to buy a SSD for OS and few necessary software or games.and a HHD for other storage.

• jack4 years agoReport

ok.if you are attending to buy only one DISK currently.you could buy a HDD for larger storage.and later when you buy SSD .you also could use minitool partitionwizard to migrate OS to SSD.quite simple

Solid state drives are a lot faster and less easier to break. If you know you won't use 25% of that solid state drive's space, then definitely get that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEjGKYXjw8

Youtube thumbnail

• Flexon
      5 years agoReport

In reality many SSDs do die however, usually because the controller fails (not because of wear).

• AAAJ

SSD for Operating System HDD for storage