robbie asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

Any information about the care of a 3 week old pup??

A friend of mine has a dog. She is about 11 years old and while my friend was on vacation, the person watching her dog allowed it to become pregnant. Anyway, the dog gave birth to 3 pups. One died right after birth. The other two were bottle fed as the mother dog could not produce milk, and wanted nothing to do with the pups. My friend can no longer care for the pups and is getting rid of them. The pups are currently 2 and a half weeks. One has already gone to a new home. I have agreed to take in the other pup. By the time I get her she will at just about 3 weeks. I'm unsure about care for her as I have never had a pup younger than 6 weeks before. Does anyone have any useful tips? (Other than taking it to the shelter or scolding my friend about the carelessness of letting her dog become pregnant.)

Favorite Answer

It's going to take A LOT of hard work to rear this puppy successfully. Right now, the puppy needs to be on b itch replacer milk (or goats milk although that won't have quite as much as BRM will have) and she'll need to be fed 5 times a day, if not more depending on how advanced the puppy is. By the end of week 3 weaning can be started but as at this stage, mum would still be providing most of the nourishment, you will have to take it slow, allowing the puppy time to adjust to solids. We used to start by offering goats milk, warmed, to each individual puppy teaching them to lap - some do this better than others. And at this point we also gave a tiny amount of raw lean hamburger (mince) once a day - it's tempting to give more because most puppies gobble this up fast. You may still need to be helping the puppy to eliminate although by 3 weeks, this usually can happen naturally.

If these puppies didn't even take mum's first milk, they have no natural immunity and are at great risk - in which case your vet should give an initial vaccination shot by 6 weeks, against Parvo and Leptospirosis. Keep her COMPLETELY away from any other dog, even a healthy one because they can walk in infection. And I'd remove shoes because so can you - and wash hands regularly.

Warmth - not quite as vital at this age as when newborn (because newborn puppies can't regulate their own heat) but she must be kept reasonably warm where she is.

Don't use cows milk. And get her checked by your own vet - she may well need worming if none has been done yet. But don't buy otc worming meds - a fecal check would be a good idea before worming.

• robbie4 years agoReport

Thank yoy very much for the advice. We had all of her shots administered, and she is now a happy and healthy young dog and will be living out the rest of her days here on my farm.

• Jojo

Info on orphan pups:>>https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-ins...

Info on caring for 3 weeks old pups:>https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-ins...

Bags of more info online.Just "Google" what you want to know.

Meanwhile buy some puppy weaning food as you can start weaning pups off milk at this age.

• JenVT

Your friend is a moron and should be reported to animal control. DO NOT TAKE THIS PUPPY. You will have no end of health and temperament issues with this puppy. Your friend needs to learn how to deal with his own irresponsibility.

• robbie4 years agoReport

I personally would just like to say that this puppy is now 11 months old. She actually is the best dog I have ever had as she became very attached to me as I bottle fed her. She is a very happy and healthy young dog. So far, there have been none of these "health or temperament" issues you mentioned.

Sorry I will not be advising or aiding any BYB's.

• robbie4 years agoReport

I would just like to inform you, that this aforementioned puppy is now a happy and healthy young dog. She was spayed three months ago, and is now living happily with me on our farm.