Should I try drugs?

I'm a 15 year old male and I've heard lots of good things about weed and mushrooms. Like how they can have eye opening and very spiritual experiences when you take them. But I'm straightedge and I'm very proud of that. I'm just not sure I want to take away that title and do drugs. Any help or advice? Please don't give me the 'drugs ruin your life' b.s

• Cassie
    Best Answer

That's a really, REALLY complicated question, actually... :-S

First off, there's the fact that not all drugs are created equal. Some are addictive, while others are not. Some are illegal, while others are not. Some can easily be overdosed on, whereas other can not. So.. I don't think I'd advice ANY person to start getting heavily into crystal meth, or opiates, or crack cocaine.. Hell, if you've got an addictive personality, you would probably be better off never even trying drugs like that! Especially if you think you could easily have a good, happy life without them... I know personally, I have never really felt a need for them. (Although I did try cocaine, just once, when a friend offered it to me.)

Also, there's your age... You're only 15 at this point! At 15, I personally had never even had my first beer! (That happened a year later, at 16, when I was an exchange student in London for the summer, and someone took me out to a bar.. I had just ONE beer, and due to the placebo effect, and my overall expectations, I thought I was SO ridiculously f*cking drunk! Although really, I wasn't.. I just wasn't used to altering my consciousness in that way. :-P)

At 15, your brain is still growing and developing... So it is highly advisable to lay off all intoxicants as much as possible, until you're older! I guess having a tiny beer, or a few hits of a joint, on some rare occasions, probably won't f*ck you up very much.. But whatever you do, do NOT turn it into a habit! Which, of course, will be easier if you never even start to begin with... Once you get a liking for it, if you DO indeed get a liking for it, you will probably want to get drunk, or high, occasionally, at the very least! So.. the longer you wait, the better off your brain will be. :)

Then there's psychological factors that you need to take into account... How is your mental health? Are people in your family vulnerable to psychosis, or schizophrenia, or things of that nature? If so, you should probably stay far, FAR away from both weed and psychedelics! Because on certain occasions, they might bring out latent mental problems in people, if you already have those tendencies deep within you... Although I don't think ALL mental deviations represent an increased risk, necessarily. I mean, I've always been mentally VERY atypical! I was born that way... I've always been remarkably sane! No psychotic tendencies, or anything like that... But I've struggled with EXTREMELY intensified emotions, slight OCD symptoms, certain symptoms of Asperger's, including strong social deficits when I was younger, social anxiety, strong childhood phobias, and maybe a slight bit of depression as a teen + young adult. And.. my drug use has never exacerbated any of those problems! In fact, psychedelics in particular, have been absolutely ESSENTIAL in helping me heal, on both a personal and a spiritual level! But.. like I said, I never did have a tendency towards psychosis! So that's probably why.. If you do, or someone in your closest family does, please be careful!

Anyway... Other than drinking a tiny bit of beer starting from the age of 16, and eventually developing a liking for coffee, I never did any other drugs until the age of 23. Upon which LSD was my first one, actually! Dropped acid before I ever even smoked weed! And let's just say, it completely blew my f*cking mind! In a very, VERY good way... I could easily get into detail about this, and basically write multiple pages on end, about how profoundly it changed my life... Gave me infinite amounts of Love. Showed me God, and Oneness, and how everything is connected. Increased my insight into the nature of my own mind, other people's minds, and the universe as a whole. Helped me choose light over the black pit of darkness that I previously used to be living in. Showed me love, and meaning, and spirituality, and beauty, when previously, all I had used to know was despair, anger, alienation, and a strong sense of having been rejected by the world, so that I might as well just say "f*ck you!" to everyone and everything.. Allowed me to gradually integrate, start healing, and actually become a part of the universe, instead of apart from it! In short, I was never really the same again, after that... And to me, it has been a blessing. It has been the singularly best, most positively life-changing thing that ever possibly could have happened to me! And of course I've had PLENTY of other life experiences since then! Developed my own understanding even further, both personally, spiritually, psychologically, emotionally, and the whole freaking deal... But the point is, those initial experiences were what got me started on my path! Were what initially changed my perception, and my ENTIRE framework of reality, so that everything that's followed ever since, has been affected by it! I think, if I hadn't ever tripped, I would have been a very different person, and not in a good way.. Most likely, I would have been completely lost, void of purpose, disconnected, and still pretty damn angry at the world! So.. at least in my own personal case, I'm glad I did it, because I very much needed it! :)

The thing is, though, if I had started getting into psychedelics at 15, I really don't think I would have handled it very well! I was not mature enough at that age. I was not reflected enough. I was not responsible enough. My brain was not developed enough... I've heard of other people who started tripping at 15, who have been mostly fine, although they did perhaps turn out just a little bit weird because of it... :-P But most likely, it would really benefit you to wait at least a few more years, before starting to eat mushrooms and stuff.. Because at any reasonable dose, it is inevitably a pretty f*cking big deal! Don't let ANYBODY tell you otherwise! You could have the most beautiful experience of your entire life! Or the most terrifying experience of your entire life! Or quite likely, a combination of both.. It could really, thoroughly change you as a person, in either a good way or a bad way! And of course, what you personally bring to the table, (such as set and setting and such), will inevitably make a huge difference, in terms of what kind of experience you end up having... But these things need to be treated with the utmost respect and reverence, and approached with due caution! Exactly BECAUSE OF the enormous impact they can have on a person's perception, and their overall reality... I know at least for me, (although I think I was maybe more deeply affected than most, because I'm naturally pretty f*cking sensitive to psychedelics!), there was a Cassie before taking acid, and there was a Cassie AFTER taking acid... And personally, I by far prefer the "after" version! But.. just to kind of give you an idea of what you're getting into, and why you shouldn't just do these things on a whim...

If I had started tripping at maybe 18 or 19, I probably would have been okay. But anything earlier than that, I would NOT have wanted to risk, based on my current knowledge, and my somewhat extensive psychedelic experience... Your mileage may very well vary, however! I was a LATE bloomer! Far later than most people.. (DID tell you I was born a bit mentally different, didn't I?!) I needed MUCH more time to mature, than pretty much any other person I know! So.. most people could probably start doing drugs somewhat earlier than I did, without wreaking total havoc on their minds.. But only you know how mature YOU are, and how ready YOU are for something! So don't ever start tripping unless you know it's the right time, and you're more or less certain you can handle it! (Although of course you can never know ANYTHING completely for certain, in this life.) :-P

As for weed, that's nowhere near as intense... The main risk there is, some people become hella stoners, and start relying on it WAY too much for their own good! Like I said earlier, you don't want it to become a habit... Because excessive exposure to mind-altering chemicals, of a young, vulnerable, still developing brain, is not usually a winning combination! :-S

Just be careful. Be smart. Be educated. Don't ever take anything you don't know what is! And don't ever take anything unless you've done extensive research on it, and you know it's the sort of experience that you're ready for, and want to become a part of your life. :)

Source(s): Personal experience.

You're proud of being straightedge, then stick to that. They're not worth giving up that title. You can live a long, happy, healthy life without ever trying illegal drugs (such as marijuana) or mushrooms.

While you do hear the good things about doing drugs, they really can have a lot of nasty effects that you may not see right away. This is why people say that "drugs can ruin your life", because they really can. Maybe for some people they don't, but do you really want to play Russian roulette with your life?

I'm familiar with the purported positive effects/experiences associated with drug use. Such good times can be had without them, however, and they often aren't worth the cost (such as giving up your title). In addition, 'straightedge' good times can even be better than the ones that rely on drugs to achieve.

Oh my goodness, what is happening to people these days?

Okay, I'm going to tell you what you're parents and trusted friends should be saying::: DO NOT DO DRUGS. STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS. DO NOT TOUCH, SNORT, INHALE, SMOKE, USE ANY NEEDLES CONTAINING DRUGS (unless the needle is for prescriptive medicine or if you're dying lol) BUT ABSOLUTELY POSITEVLY DO NOT DO DRUGS!

You are not missing out on anything. Don't let people/celebrities/rock stars fool you. Rehab is not fun. Having withdrawls is not fun. Having your family cut you off and have people worry when you're going to die is not fun. Looking like a crack-head/meth head sure as HELL won't be fun haha.

JUST.DON'T. DO. IT.

• Arthur

All drugs have unknown effects on your body. Everyone is different.

For me, Marajuana makes my brain shut down and I stare forward, not thinking or doing anything. I hate that, so I don't do weed anymore.

Alcohol tastes horrible and makes me sick, so I don't do that either.

Crack doesn't ruin your life: it ruins your pleasure center. You'll never feel as good as you did when you were on Crack the FIRST time. That's just depressing and evil.

Shrooms induce hallucinations, not spiritual visions. If you can wrest some sort of meaning out of dreams, you're a different man than I. Also, you can have flashbacks of shrooms years later. they're infrequent I think, but there's that.

No, but I know you will probably experiment with weed no matter what anyone tells you because you think your friends are cool if they smoke. Just don't buy what they are selling about it not being harmful. Just because you can't see the harm doesn't mean it's not there. Your brain will be harmed by THC.

Drugs are not like other things you like challenge yourself to do. So avoid them, especially if you have addictive behavior, like playing video games a lot. My friends who got into weed heavily are ALL zoned out mentally because of what the THC does to the human brain. They can't concentrate like they used to and it has affected their careers. Mushrooms are another magnitude of harm. Steer clear.

Don't be controlled by what your "friends" want you to do. Understand more than they do by looking at ALL the factors that can do harm before you cave to their pressure. Be better than they are.

While most people with anxiety disorders need psychotherapy or medications to get anxiety under control, lifestyle changes also can make a difference. Learn here https://tr.im/fbr8X

Keep physically active. Develop a routine so that you're physically active most days of the week. Exercise is a powerful stress reducer. It may improve your mood and help you stay healthy. Start out slowly and gradually increase the amount and intensity of your activities.

Here's a CLUE:

A person says

"Please don't give me the 'drugs ruin your life' b.s "

That's a clue that indicates the questioner does not want any answer with which the questioner might disagree.

Do what you choose to do, and accept the responsibility for the consequences of your choice.

no

you do not need to try drugs

curiosity killed the cat and although I respect you for being straightedge, others who are jealous of you may not and make fun of you for not trying or doing drugs.

If it were me, I would want to keep that title.

Marijuana fries your short-term memory. This is a demonstrated fact. Drugs cannot lead you into spiritual experiences. Such "experiences" are fake when induced by drugs.

All it takes is a try.

Every heroin addict started from small drug. Why dont you think about that first ha ? Right before you loose your life, job, career etc.

• Sofia

You have heard lies. The only thing "eye-opening" is reality -- which no one can see while having a fuzzy brain.

You are wise to have abstained thus far. Continue to be wise and do not ruin your life for "they say."