Long asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 years ago

Is it possible to achieve Perfection?

My Debate team and I were discussing this yesterday, and I have to wonder: is it truly possible to achieve Perfection? I ask because Perfection doesn t really have a meaning. And though we all strive for it, why do we?

If we all achieve Perfection, we have nothing else to improve on. And isn t life all about continuing to be better than yesterday? If so, how can one be better than pefect?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

For the sake of a strong argument, you may be right. But that doesn't mean that no one thinks they have found perfection. If perfection is impractical, then we can understand not wishing to achieve it. Or if it is temporary, and if the emotional pain is too hard to bear. Past a certain point of suffering and boredom, however, there is a desire for something better. That is what is meant by perfection. It doesn't have to be anything obvious. It might occur in very slow steps. And I believe, judging by human imagination, that there is a lot of potential out there, even if it is just a cognitive trick. The difference between one mind and another, or a day in which your miserably sick versus a day in which you make significant progress on a project is rather amazing. Some of the difference, unfortunately, is merely spiritual. Not everyone is a great spirit.

Now imagine that you are infinitely evolving. For example,

1. Step one might be to become a better writer (I mean this generally about a lot of people).

2. Step two might be to become a different person.

3. Step three might be to become more generous, or to have a 'big life moment'.

4. Step four might be to get very interested in social politics.

etc.

Perfection is not only the path of improvement, but the ability to see that it is taking you somewhere, or else the ability to be satisfied with going no-where. Perfection is super-adaptive. It often requires perspective. It only happens when the mind is not muddied by incurable problems.

Reading this, you might get the idea: perfection is possible. Maybe it's just poetry, or maybe it's just happiness, or maybe it's just a sense of purpose (money, or what have you), maybe it's a matter of being fascinated for no apparent reason at all.

The point is, a meaningful life comes out of the fact that we are not usually absolutely compromised. There is often SOMETHING we can do. For most people, just doing SOMETHING is a big challenge. But if we master what we do, then proverbially, new doorways open up. How could it be otherwise? It's the big God-cheat: the more we know, the more we grow. Some people are better than us, but they've had more experiences before they got there. If someone can justify not suffering, so much the better. Most people excuse them, and the other people get a big sermon. Everyone becomes wiser.

You might conclude that perfection is stupid, but you would be wrong. People who live relatively perfect lives have no reason to argue, unless that happens to be the thing they are devoted to doing in the moment.

That makes it frustrating. There is a vast difference between people who find perfection and people who do not.

It may be a matter of whether one's fate is adequate, whether one's life is adding up. Or it could be incidental. It could be simply about valuing what you already have. Sometimes it is even about adventures, or personal growth. It has to do with whether you have / find value, and whether you accept your opportunities. Perfection is reputed to be a very long path, a path in which physical laws doubtless change to adjust to one's level of significance.

Just remember, everyone gets what they deserve. It seems meaningless, but it's oh-so-meaningful. Some people are trying to make the choice. Very often, we learn from the students, and those less fortunate than ourselves. Perfection begins by being greedy enough to learn from imperfection. It involves generosity, and not giving up. It involves doing very exceptional things for a long time. And, if you 'own the coincidence' if you 'master time' then, for a short while, your life seems to have everything in the right place. If we stop and notice these moments, that is what has value. And the more of these moments we have, the more perfect we are.

Sometimes we have to be generous. Sometimes we have to be smart. Sometimes we have to relax. Sometimes we have to just 'deal with it'. Basically, though, it's the good moments that count, and value, in my philosophy, is weighed on the good moments. When you enjoy yourself, and you remain blameless, then everyone else also enjoys themselves.

If we can't avoid our own suffering, then we are the problem of the world, and a problem that should be solved by seeking happiness. But if we feel happy, and we can't find meaning, then we should accept that there's something good about ourselves that is significant in some way. And if we are not significant at all, then we should do our best to communicate that, because it must matter to someone else.

In this way, a type of perfection can be found on the earth. An intellectual perfection. A harmlessness. An ability to take part in rituals. A sense of satiation or truth. A sense of 'patience and transformation'.

For now, I believe that is what is perfect: the way of patience and transformation.

But, be a good student, and make whatever argument you feel like. Arguing has its own kind of life. Wisdom doesn't always live in the moment.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

No. Perfection is a cognitive bias I call Michael Jordan syndrome. People who practice stuff, assume people who don't are slow and dumb. Yet when they don't practice then they get beat, they assume it's because they are worthless because they them selves saw, when they actually practiced how easy stuff is.

Like people who see Michael Jordan and assume, he's perfect and just did magic and never had to practice. When his secret was, the reason he looked like that was because he practiced sometimes, 20 hours a day. Sometimes. He was just already warmed up all the time.

Actually, I have studied thousands of philosophers and successful people and eventually, if you wanna know the final logical conclusion about this. It's contained in Stoacism vs Epicurianism.

Epicurus was this dude who eventually moved to the woods to find out, what causes perfection and happiness. His conclusion is amazing but it proves everything eventually BREAKS down to this state.

THEN read Voltaire: Treatise on Tolerance.

That sums everything up. He's acting as the lawyer to this family surrounded by people who are consumed by the fact they think they are perfect. Then Voltaire comes to the king of the land and explains exactly why perfection is impossible to achieve. Because humanity is already at it's highest state and things that claim to go back yet out do that are all illusions.

The highest form of perfection that exists is as good as you can do which is different with everyone. I call it impeccable.

• 4 years ago

Perfection is an arbitrary term. You make up ten questions and a 10/10 response is a "perfect score" even though the 9/10 answerer may know more about the subject.

If you say X is perfect, whether X is attainable is a result of how ridiculously high you have set the bar.

But perfection is arbitrary.

• 4 years ago

Perfection is only that which is the making of something as it ought to be. A flower is perfect as is, though if you are looking for the artistic perfection, you might or might not find it. It exists, somewhere, but that doesn't mean you will find it.

The Greeks talked about perfection, not as 'perfect' like we do, but as simply the actualization (a metaphysics word) of what ought to be and can be. A oak from an acorn is perfection; but so it using the acorn as food for squirrels. However, it is not perfection to see the acorn rot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

"Perfection" certainly does have a meaning but applied to most things it is an abstract concept that doesn't have a universal definition, as you suggest. In order to achieve perfection we must define and agree upon what perfection is. It can be argued that for the individual, perfection is achieved in the cessation of desire and acceptance of all things exactly as they are. This is a concept found in Buddhism, Taoism and other systems of belief. Likewise, it can be argued that perfection is only achieved in death, which amounts to the same thing as cessation of desire.

• 4 years ago

Great topic! As a previous post suggests there are lots of systems of beliefs that try and attain perfection, or enlightenment. However, for me, I follow Christ and His time on earth illustrates a life of perfection. As much as I try I don t think I can ever achieve this level of greatness but the beauty is in the journey. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder and it will vary between individual and societal lines. Good luck and God bless.

• 4 years ago

I guess it depends on what you consider perfection to be. Are you striving for your own perfection, or society's idea of perfection? Because you are right, it's all subjective. Yes, it is possible to achieve perfection, depending on which goal post you are aiming for, I think.

• 4 years ago

Perfection is an imaginary belief created by society. It's not actually something that exists. So the answer is no.

• 4 years ago

Striving for perfection is a futile endeavor but freeing oneself from judgment so it can be seen in everyone and everything is.

Living life loving

• 4 years ago

We can only to achieve perfect in daily tasks and jobs .in the other hand life in general we can only strive to reach perfection ...."FIRST"most cleanse the mind,body, soul just to be able to reach the every ones altmate goal "" perfection""

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.