What does “the worlds has brought you down to your knees” mean"?

I came across a theme song, I'll Be There For You of an American TV show, Friends but I don't understand the [bracket] lyrics.

---------------------------------------------------------

You're still in bed at ten and work began at eight

You've burned your breakfast, so far things are going great

Your mother warned you there'd be days like these

But she didn't tell you when [ the world has brought you down to your knees ] that

----------------------------------------------------------

When I checked the dictionary, I found that:

(1) bring·down

a disappointment or letdown; comedown.

(2) bring you/something to your/its knees

to defeat or stop someone or something

-- > Severe oil shortages could bring our economy to its knees. They played a great game and brought our local basketball champs to their knees.

I'm unsure that probably one of these definitions are similar meaning to [bring you down to your knees] but I couldn't find the exact words (bring + down + knees). Thanks.

Favorite Answer

bring down to your knees is an idiom - means that the world has defeated a person

bring to (one's) knees

To reduce to a position of subservience or submission.

See also: bring, knee, to

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

bring somebody/something to their knees

to destroy or defeat someone or something Sanctions were imposed in an attempt to bring the country to its knees. The strikes brought the economy to its knees.

See also: bring, knee, to

Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed. Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced with permission.

bring you/something to your/its knees

to defeat or stop someone or something Severe oil shortages could bring our economy to its knees. They played a great game and brought our local basketball champs to their knees.

See also: bring, knee, to

Ca

Maybe it's referring to praying. Hardships of life are often met with prayers- prayers for guidance, answers, healing, etc.