Integrated Math 3, and then AP Calculus in High School?

I've taken the 1st semester of Precalc, then took Integrated Math 3 2nd semester. I have to say that Math 3 WAS THE EASIEST FREAKING MATH COURSE I HAVE EVER TAKEN. It was basically review of the Algebra 2 course I had taken previously. I'm now taking an online AP Calculus course (through APEX Learning), and would like tips and suggestions on how to go through this course. I really do NOT want to drop the course. Because I have completely missed what would have been the 2nd (and most important) semester of Precalc, what should I do to maximize my success in such an advanced course?

Favorite Answer

Look, AP Calculus will not be hard. I am distressed that your school screwed you out of one year of interesting mathematics (e.g. maybe you could've taking a combinatorics course, number theory, etc.)

but oh well.

As I said, it wont be difficult provided you grasp the intuitive concepts of derivative and integration as are pretty good at algebra.

Le me state something though, when you learn the Fundemental Theorem of Calculus (2nd), appreciate it, and also realize when it is applicable.

Not every function has an anti-derivative. And an integral is not an anti-derivative. An integral is a value we assign to an "area" "under" a curve, and can be gained even if the anti-derivative doesn't exist by method of exhaustion.

In regards to a book(s) so that you actually learn something in this course. You could try Lang's first course in Calculus (and if you're up for it, maybe Apostol vol.1 or Spivak Calculus). Note, for any of these books you may have to look up an errata(?) i.e. what any errors might be in the print.

Since you are doing things online, teach yourself something cooler, honestly.

(Also check out Art of Problem Solving, I swear, some of the coolest math problems ever.)

edit:

I hadn't read the last line. I chuckled when you called it an advanced course. Especially if you are talking AB. Honestly, you could take Calc. AB, self teach yourself BC, and get straight 5s on the exam, especially if you use any of the 3 books I told you (and do some of the computational problems from class).

• Mr.Persona
      4 years agoReport

Yes, as long as it's cheap, I have no issue with it, personally I would've "gotten it through other means", but I do get buying the book. Nothing compares to having a physical copy in your hands.
      Also, when you do proofs, just realize it's very logical.

• Mary

As 'Arbitrary Person' has indicated, the only way you're going to get any college credit for Calculus is if you take AP calculus, and do well on the exam. If you take AB calculus (probably the standard AP calculus class), that would probably be the equivalent of Calc 1 in college, which would be a one semester class (as would Calc 2 and 3, which are simply the next higher levels). BC calculus would probably cover some of a Calc 2 class in college, but I'm not convinced it would cover all of it. If you aren't going into a math or science related field, passing the Calc AB AP exam should be enough to finish math requirements at many colleges, but this will depend on your college and major. Some colleges and majors don't even require calculus level classes, and passing pre-calculus is sufficient, so if you really don't like math, this is probably worth looking into.

Since you're taking this online, you probably don't have the option to discuss this with a credentialed instructor.

Seriously consider getting a test-prepbook for the AP Calculus exam you will be taking at the end of the course. Use it as a guide for what you should know, just in cases there are gaps in the course itself. It's getting a 4 or better (out of 5) that gets you out of Calc 1 as a university freshman.

One thing that a good precalc course will cover that you *should* see reviewed in any Calc 1 course (AP or otherwise) is circle-based trigonometry. If that sounds scary, it isn't. Defining the classic trig functions in terms of the unit circle instead of right triangles makes much more sense, and is one of the first reasons that radians make much more sense than degrees for measuring angles, at least in mathematics.

• Mikayla4 years agoReport

The new Common Core standards really screwed me over. My "Precalc" course didn't cover any trig.