Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 5 years ago

Should I buy a "high milage" car?

I'm planing on getting a 2009 car with a 110k. I viewed the car record and it has 0 accidents. It looks brand new. Should I buy it If it is high mileage?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • CB
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You really need to look at the maintenance records - if none available then pass. Not changing oil and other regularly scheduled maintenance will severely shorten the life of a car - properly maintained 110k is still a fairly young car. Keep in mind it may be due for a timing belt or chain replacement -1000-1500usd expense fluid changes transmission/radiator/transaxle etc.

Have a competent mechanic inspect the car before purchasing - still they won't know if the maintenance has been performed but at least they can alert you to upcoming items that may need attention now or soon.

• Good answer, and I agree with most of this, except a timing chain shouldn't need replaced if the car has been maintained, but it should be checked along with everything else. A timing belt, of course, should, but I don't think many cars still had them in 2009.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

It's a tad above the average buyer's comfort zone, but if it's deemed to be a in decent condition by a mechanic and you're getting a good deal, it may be worth buying. As for those who say cars these days are capable of 200 K miles, if your maintenance budget is unlimited, any POS will last forever.

• 5 years ago

6 year old car with 110k is just barely high mileage. Most newer vehicles are good for at least 200k miles, more depending on make and model and service history. Before you buy it, though, get it checked by a trusted mechanic to be sure it has been maintained properly and is running okay and not due for any major maintenance.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It's not "high mileage", the car is seven years old. This mileage is average for a daily driver of that age.

Accidents and looks mean squat; what maintenance records does it have? Was the timing belt ever changed?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Mileage is not as important as the actual condition of the car, as determined by a professional mechanic's inspection before you buy the car.

• 5 years ago

any car today will go 200k w/o even trying

but, the wear items still need to be taken care of

tires, brakes, exhaust, clutches, light bulbs

these are not uncommon things to replace after 4-6 years of use

• 5 years ago

WHAT CAR? some cars are junk when new,,,You can't expect a good answer without giving info

• 5 years ago

first of all check evrythng detials about it .if it is new or old.if its mileage is strong then u can buy it.

• Never
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Its not riskless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.