Has anyone read and watched Interview with the Vampire?

Can you tell me some of the differences between the book and the movie? The more detailed the better.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Claudia in the book is a child of about 3 or 4. Claudia in the movie is a child of about 10 or 11. due to the subject matter of the story, a younger child in this part would have been inappropriate. Kirsten Dunst was about 12 or 13 when she got this part. (Anne Rice lost a young daughter to leukemia. Claudia was her way of keeping her daughter alive)

2. in the book, Armand, the leader of the French Vampires, appears to be red headed blue eyed boy of about 15 or 16 who is actually about 300 years old by the 19th century. Armand in the movie is played by Antonio Bandaras who was well into his 30s & looked it. the actor who played Armand in Queen of the Damned looks much more like the book Armand but he's still obviously older than a teenager.

3. in the movie, when Louis & Claudia turned on Lestat, he stayed in Louisiana in his weakened state until Louis found him again in the 20th century. in the book, unknown to Louis & Claudia, he survived their attack & fled to the Theater of Vampires because Armand was an ally of his which is how Armand & the other vampires knew that Louis & Claudia had betrayed Lestat. in the movie, Armand tricked Louis into confessing that they attacked & killed Lestat (at this point of the movie, no one realized that Lestat was still alive)

4. In the movie, the interviewer is turned by Lestat at the end of the movie. In one of the later books the interviewer is identified as a reporter named Daniel Malloy & after Louis refused to turn him, he went in search of Lestat in hopes that Lestat would turn him, instead he finds Armand--this is the first time we find out that Armand survived Louis' destruction of the Theater & Armand turns the reporter.

there are other changes. those just the ones I can remember off hand.

edit:

and if you are asking this because you haven't read the book---you really should. it's an awesome book.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Them
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Oh - what a great movie - I didn't even know there was a book..... Now I'm going to have to read it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.