sean asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 4 years ago

can i install windows 10 on a 120gb ssd?

You should be able to fit Windows 10 on the 120GB SSD if there's adequate space if that's where you had Windows 7 or 8, but the thing about Windows 10 that concerns me is the fact that unless you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro version, you have no control over any future Windows 10 updates. You must accept all Windows Updates, at least if nothing changes with Microsoft. Who knows how large a space Windows Updates could use over the years. 5GB, maybe 10GB or even more?

Yes. I have Windows 10 installed on a 128gb SSD.

With 64-bit Windows and the most conservative recovery image size that Microsoft cited, Windows 10 could reduce its footprint as much as 6.6GB with these new methods. That may not sound like much, but owners of smaller SSDs and mobile devices running Windows will probably be happy for every spare byte of free space.

System file compression can incur a performance hit, so the Windows 10 installer will also evaluate each system to determine whether these space-saving measures will negatively impact performance before compressing system files during installation. The two most important factors that the installer will consider are the amount of RAM in a system and the performance of the CPU at hand.

It's less clear how system recovery will work without a separate recovery image. Microsoft says "the Refresh and Reset functionalities will instead rebuild the operating system in place using runtime system files," but doesn't elaborate further. It's probably a safe bet that we'll learn more as Windows 10 nears release.

yes you can but theres another issue you need to consider. If that is your only hard drive you'll run out of space in no time. Also 120gb SSD will run out of space soon even if you have other hard drives. Every time you load a program it has to load files on the c drive. Unless you're only using your computer with a few programs you'll run out of space quick. Think about it....how many people would ever just have a 120gb on their computers? You'll need at least a 500gb SSD. 120gb is just too small.

I have a 120GB SSD and have Windows 10 on it. Don't worry. After 30 days, Microsoft will delete Windows.old (your old windows installation) or you can delete it yourself now as long as you're sure you won't need it. OneDrive is now intergrated with Windows 10, so you can store all your files in the cloud. Also, you don't have to use a local account to log on to your PC, just your Microsoft account. You will be fine installing it.

I have windows 7 ultimate installed on a 256Gb SSD and I'm nearly out of space - the initial installation may fit but you have to consider updates, visual C++ redistributables, Microsoft .NET framework, the windows swap file (cache), other internet browsers such as opera or safari, etc. Most of these are required by other software you may install or will work best on the drive which has your operating system. I'd advise to get at least a 256Gb drive - you'll be glad you did when it starts filling up.

Sure you can Windows 10 will not take more than 12 / 16 Gb so don't worry and it's better installing it on SSD :D good luck

I have windows seven on a 128 Gb SSD. I have had to add a one Tb. hard drive for data and continually move things to it,such as photos/videos.You would be a lot better off with an SSD of 240 Gb or more.

Yes, you can install windows 10

After I finished (that includes post-install cleanup) a Windows 10 Pro installation, it used less than 10 GB.