alex asked in HealthOther - Health · 5 years ago

Is it safe to use pure aloe gel, directly from the plant itself, as a lube?

I just had, well, to put it kindly, a rather painful evacuation due to loose solids. I broke a stalk off my aloe plant to use the gel as a soothing balm back there, and I noticed it made things quite slippery. Longevity issues aside, is there any inherent danger with using straight-from-the-plant aloe gel internally? I mean, people make drinks from the stuff, so it seems fine, but I don't know if it has to be cooked down or anything like that.

• Favorite Answer

Aloe Vera taken orally can cause diarrhea and cramps and is recognized by FDA as a laxative. However, in 2002 the FDA banned it from over-the-counter laxatives due to a lack of safety information. Not much is really known about the plants effects other then that it is proven to help with burns and abrasions.

Source(s): I have an Aloe Vera plant and have used lotion made from it, never again, it was okay at first but after a while it made me feel like I was burning,.