I need advice in convincing my sister to stay catholic and not become Mormon?

Now before I start if your are a Mormon I would politely ask you to not answer my question because your opinion will not change anything about what I think.

So first of all I have this sister named Carol and she's dating a Mormon named Matthew. Our entire family is catholic and we all are very happy with it. But my sister Carol has always done whatever boys tell her to do. And for the past couple of months it seems that Matthew is taking advantage of her and is slowly converting her to being Mormon. I don't believe he cares about her at all, because I am aware that Mormons try to convert as many people as they can. I even found the Book of Mormon in her room. But I know deep inside she is making the biggest mistake of her life and I'm asking someone to please help me. I need someone to tell me what to do because I'm running out of options. One family member suggested we take her to counseling so they can tell her to stop letting people influence her on what to do. I need a honest and mature answer quick.

Favorite Answer

Go to catholic .com and search Catholic apologetic for mormons. Give her the mormon tracts to read.

e.g.

Sharing your faith with a stranger is always a delicate affair. How do you get another person to thoughtfully reconsider his religious beliefs without offending him? Also, how do you do that without getting trapped in an awkward situation for several hours?

I had those concerns in the back of my mind when I had the opportunity to dialogue with Mormons on two recent occasions. One was with a woman seated next to me on an airplane and the other was with two missionaries at a friend’s doorstep.

Polygamy Myths

On a flight to one of my recent speaking engagements a young woman sitting next to me noticed that I was reading a book about Mormonism. She said she had recently joined the LDS church and so we struck up a conversation (the proper name for Mormons is “Latter-day Saints” or “LDS”). She said that she didn’t like it when people held incorrect or bigoted views towards Mormons and I said I agreed. I cited the belief that, “Mormon’s practice polygamy” as an example of one such mistaken belief.

Technically, LDS are accused of practicing polygyny, which is a form of polygamy that occurs when a man is married to more than one woman at a time. Polyandry occurs when a woman is married to more than one man at a time. In any case, LDS do not currently practice any form of “polygamy,” which means they do not enter into marriages with more than one living spouse at the same time.

At an October 1998 General Conference, LDS President Gordon Hinkley said, “If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose.” The polygamists you see on TV shows like “Sister Wives” are schismatic Mormons and are not part of the mainstream LDS Church.

This myth is derived from the fact that the LDS church did practice polygamy in its early years. In 1843 the founder of the LDS church Joseph Smith said that God had revealed to him that polygamy was morally acceptable (See Doctrine and Covenants 132:61-66). Todd Compton, who is a practicing Mormon and a professional historian, has provided evidence that Joseph Smith had at least 33 wives who were unofficially “sealed’ to him in marriage.[i]

In the late 1800’s the United States government began to outlaw polygamy and prosecuted LDS who engaged in the practice. However, the conflict between the LDS Church and the State began to dissipate in 1890 when LDS president Wilford Woodruff claimed he received a revelation from God saying that LDS should no longer engage in polygamy (or what Woodruff called “plural marriages”).[ii]

Polygamy Reality

I then said to the young woman that the modern LDS Church did believe in polygamy, but not in this life. You see, the LDS church believes marriage is an eternal reality and any marriage sealed in an LDS temple is considered to be a “celestial marriage” that will last for all eternity. Mormons who are married outside of a temple only have life-long marriages that are dissolved upon the death of either spouse (just like everyone else’s marriages). As the official LDS document The Family: A Proclamation to the World puts it, “The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.”

One interesting consequence of this belief is that LDS celestial marriages can be polygamous. According to one LDS manual of instructions, while a man can remarry in the temple after his wife dies (and thus have more than one wife in Heaven) a woman can only be married in the temple once.[iii]

The young woman said in response to this, “That’s not really fair . . . I’ll have to think about that.” As our plane pulled up to the gate I told her she could email me if she ever had any questions. I also got her contact information and promised to send her a copy of my booklet on Mormonism that will soon be published through Catholic Answers Press.

Missing Jesus

In the second encounter, I was invited to engage two young missionaries at a friend’s doorstep. After we discussed how Mormons and Catholics differ in their beliefs I decided to leave these two young men with a powerful, yet simple reason for why I would never join the Mormon Church.

“You guys said in your presentation that Jesus is our “eldest brother.” You see, I believe that Jesus is my Lord and God and that he is co-equal and co-eternal with the Father. You believe, in contrast, that the Father created Jesus and so you don’t pray to Jesus. I love being a Christian and I would miss my relationship with Jesus if I joined the Mormon Church.” The young men had never heard this particular objection before and promised to study the issue in further detail.

Some Mormons claim that the reason they only pray to the Father (who they call “Heavenly Father”) is because Jesus taught his disciples to address their prayers to “our Father” and because Jesus told his disciples to “ask of the Father in my name.” But of course, just because Jesus gave us one way to pray does not mean that is the only way to pray. After all, LDS give thanks to Heavenly Father even though Jesus never showed his followers through the Lord's Prayer how to give thanks to God. It seems more likely that LDS only pray to the Father because they are following the prescription in the Book of Mormon where Jesus says, “ye must always pray unto the Father in my name” (3 Nephi 18:19).

Praying to Jesus

But the Bible gives us many examples of praying to and worshipping Jesus. For example, after his resurrection Jesus received worship from his disciples (Matthew 28:9) and Thomas called Jesus “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). After his ascension St. Stephen prayed to Jesus saying, “Lord Jesus, Receive my Spirit.” St. Paul said, “may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father . . . comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word,” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).

Notice that Paul does not ask the Father “in Jesus name” to comfort believers but petitions both the Father and the Son to do that, or he treats them as equals. If the apostle Thomas can confidently say to Jesus “My Lord and my God,” Stephen can ask Jesus to receive his spirit, and Paul can ask Christ to comfort us, then why shouldn’t we pray to Jesus? Why would I join a Church that discourages praying to the eternal, all-powerful, and one-of-a-kind (John 1:18) Son of God?[iv]

Little Steps

When you engage Mormons, or any non-Catholic friend in dialogue, I recommend being nice, open, and not “out on a mission.” Don’t look at the encounter as an opportunity to “win an argument” or “get someone into the Church.” Rather, ask questions and get the person to think about one aspect of his belief system that the Catholic worldview better explains. Then, be open to answering future questions the person will hopefully have in his search for truth.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Wow thanks so much that was very helpful :). I will definitely take your advice.

The best way to convince your sister to be a Catholic is to be the best example of a Catholic and sister you can be.

Flaming Mormons, telling her she's immature, or calling her decision stupid (even if any of those are true) will just alienate her from you.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Thank you so much and yes i have learned to stop saying negative things about them because it makes her drift away from us. But i will use your advice :)

There's little you can do if she's allowed someone else to make up her mind for her. It's not her you should convince. It's the person controlling her. She's traded her personhood for an ethereal promise of emotional security. Not something that is easy to beat, except with time and love.

Most of all, let her know you are there for her, and always will be no matter what. if she knows there is someone else in her corner, she just might start asking you to privately clarify things she hears in "her" language, being a sibling. Families inherently sense each other's "language", or unique way of seeing the world. Let her know you know hers and she is safe with you. Don't allow her to trade one tyrant (BF) for another (you), or history will only repeat itself and you will all feel you are caught in Groundhog Day.

Above all, keep praying for her to be led by the Holy Spirit and not by men (literally and figuratively). Be spiritually ready for those moments when the carefully constructed walls crack among the company of her family.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Thank you so much for your help. I realized that i made her think that i was always against her but i will for sure let her know that i will always be there for her.

Tell her to sit in a quiet room sometime, and shed herself from all her worries, from all thoughts of her boyfriend, and listen for the voice of God beckoning her from his cross. Tell her to think of his insurmountable love for her, as he hung upon the cross. Ask her if she is more willing to please a boy, rather than him, who suffered and died for her. Tell her to dwell on the eternity from which he reaches out to her from.

There is only one truth, no matter what others tell you, and it is not rigid nor cruel. It extends into all directions, and holds the same reality, not matter who or where you are. This reality is God's love, and his one true Church that he established with his blood 2,000 years ago. Mormon teaching is blatantly contrary to the promises of Christ. To become Mormon is separating yourself from his body, from his reality which is found in his Church, which is alive and guided by him by his very promise.

We can have the illusion of happiness with certain people, people that do not love with even a fraction of God's love for us. So why do we not find happiness and excitement in our God who loves us beyond comprehension, and who has command over all existence? To know his love you must seek him. People can help you along the way, and by the grace of God, but in the end it comes down to your acceptance of God and his grace. You have to realize, that if you follow him in truth, when you expire from the world, his hands are there to catch you, his house is within you, and there he waits to invite you in. He will not leave you desolate. In the silence and business of the ordinary day, he is there with you, if you would only try and hear him.

All the promises of Christ, all the Biblical data, all the miracles, all the saints, all the Church Fathers who knew and were ordained by the Apostles, show the Catholic Church is the one true Church.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Wow that really helped thank you so much!

How about respecting her as an individual with the right to choose her own religion and spouse. God does. There is nothing wrong with going from Catholic to Mormon. I did. Mormons are very family oriented.

• She'll end up being trapped in the Mormon web, which is nearly impossible to escape from, especially if she ends up marrying a devout Mormon. Good Catholics are also very family oriented, but the truth is very important, and Mormonism is built on lies.

Take her to a Priest for counseling, he should 'set her straight' (but, sorry, I'm a Baptist, but I know this won't convert YOU, either, so good luck. She may listen to her Priest, or perhaps to a much admired Nun, if she knows any very well?

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Thanks for the advice, however our priest told us to let her do it so she can learn. And then hopefully she will then find out what she truly wants after learning their teachings.

The problem is that so many baptized Catholics don't know their faith or the history of the Catholic Church well enough, so they fall away easily. Having a strong relationship with Jesus Christ and understanding the Eucharist and the Mass is key in keeping people from falling away as well.

One of the main beliefs that Mormons rely on in order to "support" their religion, is the belief in a "Great Apostasy", a total and complete falling away from the truth of Christianity after the death of the Apostles. They believe that the "True Church" fell completely away and failed to exist, shortly after the last Apostle died, for about 1800 years later, until Joseph Smith "restored" the "true church" on earth, creating Mormonism. This of course is complete myth. There was never a complete apostasy away from true Christianity. The Catholic Church has complete historical continuity, and unbroken Apostolic succession going all the way back to Christ, and the Catholic Church preserves orthodox Christianity and has maintained Apostolic Tradition and preserved, defended, taught and handed on the unchanging Deposit of Faith, which Jesus entrusted to His Apostles 2000 years ago.

Mormons ignore Jesus' promises that He'd not leave us orphans (John 14:18), He'd be with His Church always even til the end of time (Matthew 28:20), that His Church would be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit(John 16:13), and that His Church would never be overcome by death or the gates of hell(Matthew 16:18). They believe the Church Jesus set up failed. So essentially they must believe that Jesus is the fool that built His Church on sand(Matthew 7:26). So if they believe that Jesus' promises failed, and His Church failed, then it makes no sense to be following Jesus anyway.

We must fully trust Jesus, and His promises, and know that He has never, and will never fail us. He is not the fool who built His house on sand, He is the wise man who built His Church on a solid rock! (Matthew 16:18), (Matthew 7:24-25).

We must be aware of false prophets, leading people astray.

(Galatians 1:6-9)I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and turning to a different gospel— not that there is another gospel, but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, If any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.

(1 John 4:1)Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

(Matthew 24:11)and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.

(Matthew 7:15)"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

(Mark 13:22)For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

(Jeremiah 23:16) This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD

(Jeremiah 23:32)Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the LORD. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD.

(2 Peter 2:1)But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.

If she's willing to read and/or listen to some conversion testimonies from former Mormons to Catholic, they may be helpful.

The Coming Home Network - Conversion Stories: Mormon to Catholic

http://chnetwork.org/category/conversion-stories/b...

Here are some informative talks about Mormonism:

"What Every Catholic Should Know About Mormonism" - Patrick Madrid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzeG829_PFw

Youtube thumbnail

From Mormon Missions to The Catholic Faith - Thomas Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3wi6stqSNk

Youtube thumbnail

Let your sister live her life. If she wants to be Mormon or Shinto or Buddhist, let her. But out and leave her alone.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Geez thanks -_-

Because you know what's best for her?

If she is converting "because" of the guy, then yeah, that's not the right reason. But IF she is converting because she believes it's TRUE, then maybe you need to back off :)

I know the gospel is true, because I have asked God and because I live it every day.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

I am assuming your Mormon. It is because of the guy I know her more than anyone. But thanks anyway.

• banana

Tell her to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses instead. They actually have the same message Jesus preached "The Kingdom of God" as mankind's only hope. The Mormons preach the Book of Mormon. jw.org

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Thanks but no thanks.

You should let her do what she feels comfortable with doing its her decision.

• Daniela5 years agoReport

Ya i understand that but I am trying to say that she is only converting to make him happy. But I know her more than anyone and its not going to make her happy. And thats all thats important.