Upgrade from HDD to SSD?

Hello. I want to buy SSD for my lenovo y50-70, which has 1TB HDD. This laptop is quite slow in my opinion, even though it has 16GB ram and 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB). Could you tell me what would happen if I upgrade to SSD, that is, will currently installed win10 disappear and all that stuff like system restore, reset, etc, because it would be good to reinstall windows that are already in computer if something is screwed up as it is really easy to do so. Sorry for my english though, thank you for the answers.

Favorite Answer

An SSD does have a speed advantage over a standard hard drive, but you typically only notice the speed increase on things like initial start up and when searching the hard drive, or running software that uses large amounts of virtual memory, such as photo and video editing software.

I think you misunderstand how the replacement hard drive will be installed. If you just go to the store and buy a hard drive and install it in your computer, when you turn on your computer it will tell you it cannot find a boot device. So, what you have to do is either install your computer from scratch (hopefully your computer came with recovery disks) which will make the computer like when you very first brought it home. So, if you bought the computer with windows 8 and you do the recovery, it will have windows 8 even if you upgraded to windows 10 on the old hard drive.

There is also a method of transferring your current data to the new hard drive, typically referred to as a "ghost". the advantage here would be that you are going to get your computer exactly the way it was with the old hard drive, all your data, all your programs, etc. The problem with this method is that if there are problems with the old data, you will still have those to... only they will run slightly faster.

Yes, SSD is worth it. So, nothing would be lost, I would be able to reinstall windows if something goes wrong? I am planning to buy ~250GB SDD but I am just afraid that I might screw up my whole computer by replacing HDD to SSD. Would I need to go to something like BIOS, choose drives, copy something, load test mode, connect something, etc or is it as simple as one can see in a video on how to do it (just take out an old HHD and put in the new SSD)? Thanks for the quick answers .

An ssd would speed up your computor and no you would still have your software and windows 10 if it is a usb ssd

Source(s): Browsing around