How did the Confederate mindset find a new home in the same political party it fought against in the Civil War?

Why are today's 'Red State' Conservatives so embarrassed by their heritage as former Confederate Slave holding Southern States? Is it because they declared war against the Lincoln led 'Radical Republican Party?' I just don't get their revisionist lies!

@ MEL T: You're under the deluded assumption that information withheld from your indoctrination automatically precludes the existence such events. What a pity!

@ Ed: Ignorance of history is not a free pass to remain as such! The targets of the white supremacy proclaimed by the designer of the Confederate flag (William Tappan Thompson) have no motivations in supporting the new appropriations being assigned to the flag. Wrong is wrong; so forget trying to justify it!

@ paula: Save the tic-for-tac premise regarding chattel slavery, okay/ Academically, your education was devoid of the nuanced differences between the Yankee vs Confederate notions about that inhumane institution. In fact, the Confederacy deemed that holding the enslaved in perpetuity was their 'god-given right!' Whereas, the North embraced the industrial revolution and went on to pass laws prohibiting slavery. However, the same cannot be said for the South!

@ yamnnjr: The Eurocentric spin on Christianity gave rise to the White Nationalism that many are too embarrassed to acknowledge! There is no such thing as a White Christian; yet, many from European descent continue to play that game! This twist on Christianity begins to speak to why racists felt that oppressing c'mon-whites was their 'god-given right!'

So, save for the Quakers, the other sects hardly following Christ!

Favorite Answer

It was conservatives who were racist then and it is conservatives who are racist now. The party name doesn't mean anything. Here's what I want some of them to know:

I grew up in the south, I probably had a confederate flag tee-shirt or two, because I loved the Dukes of Hazard TV show- I was probably ten years old before I found out that flag wasn't the flag of Hazard County, but that's another story. From what I've seen, most people who like that flag just like it for the 'rebel' part, They don't know the history of the flag, and they don't care anything about the Confederacy. It's just the old rebelling against authority thing that young men everywhere like.

Not all conservative states are in the south.

Also, most of the Republican supporters come out of a generation who's parents and on back moved from other locations in the U.S.

The fact that so many southern states support Republicans means nothing. Most of those who used to support Democrats didn't switch to Republican-supporting on some magical day as the left wants you to believe.

Besides, even IF they did, who cares. Sometimes it takes time for people to catch up with reality. Perhaps their Christianity always working in the background of their ideology finally produced the fruit of a new generation who saw the error of their ways.

It's certainly better once racists turn towards freedom than that once not-racists turns towards fascism.

Because they felt betrayed when a large number of northern democrats voted for the civil rights act. Then the republican party adopted the southern strategy and started to drop very subtle racism in the form of "pro-states rights" to pick up the newly dealigned southern conservatives.

Plenty of people in the North owned slaves. Many, many people in the North profited from slavery. Ever hear of investors? Yet the North gets a free pass on racial bigotry.

I talk to lots of Republicans and have yet to find one that wants to bring back slavery

communism and socialism took over the Dimocratic party

doesn't your mom worry about you leaving the house wearing nothing but labels..?

I don't see that they are embarrassed by it at all.

It didn't.