Is it too late to become successful in technology?

Hello, my name is Tyler and I'm an 18 year old male. I've got quite the plight that I'd like to address to you all. Ever since I was little I've been fascinated with technology, although due to ordinary childhood routines imposed from parents trying to limit technological use, I've never quite been able to extend past playing video games. When I was 13, I started learning to script(watered down watered down programming) using lua, on a childrens development platform called ROBLOX. I stayed with them until I was 17, until I finally started to push out to C++ and Java. And this is where my depression comes from. I've but little knowledge in technology, software or hardware, but as I grow to learn a little bit more of it I do know that it is my dream. I have the silly childhood aspirations of becoming an expert in cyber security, or white hat hacking. But I fear I started far too late. I hear tales of experts in their fields, the best at what they do. And they all seem to start with a childhood prodigy, leaving all in awe and being destined for something big. Not some inattentive fool who started when he was 17. I don't want to become exceptional for the sake of vanity. I could always care less what others believe of me. But I always have wanted to change the world. To put meaning into my life and help lives of others. And this cancerous thought that it's too late to do that just continues to eat at me. I'd love any help from you credible people. Thanks : )

I'm thinking about trying to go into the Air Force for cyber security. It seems like a neat benefit.

Favorite Answer

No, it isn't.

The defining characteristic of most experts is not that they started at a young age -- there is no causality there -- but that they thoroughly enjoy or love the topic in which they are considered an expert, because that provides the motivation to spend the incredible amount of time required for mastery of any skill.

Experts start at a young age because they enjoy it, not because they wanted to become an expert.

Viktor Frankl says

"Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run—in the long-run, I say!—success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it"

But I don't really like writing motivational garbage. My suggestion to you is to get programming or reading or go to school for something that you enjoy.

I have no real comment on the Air Force idea. When I got out of high school, I considered enlisting in one of the branches, knowing that I would either hate it or love it. I chose not to, and perhaps I'm better off for it.

I would have gone in for some sort of technical field --- electronics or mechanics, probably. I couldn't see myself working creatively in a military environment, so I would have chosen some MOS which was more hands-on.

I didn't (and still don't) have a serious problem with authoritarian environments (that is, I know how to handle it), but I can't see myself getting anything creative done in an environment like that. Authoritarian management just sucks, even more so for engineers.

That's just something to consider. It's up to how you feel about it, but Chapter 33 is nothing to scoff at.

• Franco

Last update: I assume you never heard of a smurf attack. There are other attacks people can do online.

If you can't stop someone from attacking your devices online, then you would be useless as a white hat hacker, or a cyber security specialist.

People here talk about DDOS, and DOS attacks. Like I said above, if you don't know how to stop these attacks, then you would be useless in this industry.

White hat hackers have to know how to protect their technology by people who try to exploit it.

Update: white hat hacking, and cyber security are very difficult topics to learn, and I think your not even ready to learn these topics.

Tyler, I strongly recommend that you give up!

Why? Your on the wrong path, and this is a long journey to take.

I can't stress enough how important it is to learn about technology, software, and hardware.

If you want to be a white hat hacker, then it makes 100% sense that you should know what you are using. Because if you don't know what you are using, then it's a waste of time.

• _Object
      5 years agoReport

In my opinion, there is no "waste" or "damage". The past doesn't fight you. It's only _now_ that matters. From my perspective, free-will (or the lack of it) is meaningless, because it has no effect on the present. But now we're talking philosophy. Yours is one that many preach but few follow.

surely this is a joke? Go to college and major in computer science, 18 is almost the perfect age. My first computer science class expected nothing of me. It's there literally to help you start out with 0 experience. It's never too late to follow your dreams man, even if you were 40+ I would say to go after it.