Do they need permission first?

So do you know how on Family Guy they make fun of a lot of famous people? Do they need permission from them first before they actually do that? I always see famous singers or actors get made fun of or treated badly on the show so i was curious if they needed to get the permission of the person theyre making fun first? Just a thought. Thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, Free Speech laws prevent censorship. Recently Carol Burnett tried to sue FG for not seeking her permission and the judge called her a fool for attempting such a hopeless lawsuit. Also, the Fair Use laws specifically allow people to be parodied without the threat of legal action.

• BandLover5 years agoReport

Ooh...okay thanks a lot!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Nick
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

Public figures are open to be satirized so they don't need permission first. However, they do have to be careful that they don't cross the line.

• Alan
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

If you look at the credits, sometimes the person that are making fun is in on it, because the real person is doing the voice for the character in the show. This is not always the case, but I have been surprised to see the real person was involved in the joke about them several times on Family Guy.

• Alan
      Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

Luke Perry, James Woods and other played themselves when they were being made fun of.

• 5 years ago

I don't think so. The show is all satire and you are allowed to make fun of anyone if it is under that genre.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.