Traveling to Europe..?

So I plan to travel to Europe for the first time in 2017... This may be long so thanks in advance for reading :) Just looking for advice on anything and everything! Here's what I've come up with so far.. I'm not sure if I'm going alone or going with a good friend, if he doesn't have the money... show more So I plan to travel to Europe for the first time in 2017... This may be long so thanks in advance for reading :) Just looking for advice on anything and everything!

Here's what I've come up with so far..

I'm not sure if I'm going alone or going with a good friend, if he doesn't have the money when the time comes I wouldn't mind going alone but I do want to bring someone

As of right now I'm planning on staying in Germany. Possibly Dusseldorf, for 16-20 nights. I'm not sure if I want to stay at a hotel or renting a room/flat/house from someone on Airbnb.com

Either way I want to stay at a fairly nice place, I was looking at the Waldorf Astoria in Berlin.. but for a much cheaper price I can rent a really nice place from someone.. I mean pretty much all I'm going to do is sleep there so I might as well save some money and not stay at a super fancy hotel.. right? :P

I understand that the public transportation is great in Europe but I really like to drive around myself and just get lost.. I want to spoil the **** out of myself so I'm probably going to rent a Mercedes, but I also want to get a ticket for the interrail and travel to 2 or 3 surrounding countries. Like the Netherlands, France, Austria, Italy, and/or Belgium. So maybe it's best to not have the car rented out during these times when I'll constantly be on a train??

One place I would love to go to is Chamrousse, France.

My budget is 6-8 thousand dollars for the whole trip. Does this sound like a good trip so far?