Are most Pro-Lifers nothing more than Pro-Birthers....once the life is born...who cares what happens to it?

Sister Joan Chittister, O.S.B. sums up the hypocrisy in the 'pro-life' movement:

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

Can most GOP Right to Lifers agree with this NUN?

Best Answer

Exactly right. I couldn't agree more with Sister Joan. She hit that right on the money, hands down.

I am a liberal, pro-choice Christian. Many other people who call themselves Christian do not realize that Jesus never criticized abortions, even though they were performed a lot during his time. Realize, too, that women didn't realize they were pregnant back then until "quickening" - the point they can feel the baby move - which is normally after 16 weeks of pregnancy.

Yes, I think it is very hypocritical for them to force their religious beliefs on others under the Christian belief that they are saving lives when they are the same people who want to punish women who got pregnant unexpectedly or are carrying a fetus that has substantial birth defects. These are the same people who don't want your tax dollars to pay food stamps, Section 8, or any other program unless the mother is working, and many of these kids need 24/7 care, preventing the mother from working.

• viablerenewables
      4 years agoReport

Leesabrat how many abortions were acknowledged in Jesus's time? Why should the general public be forced to cover your bad choices & lack of taking responsibility for your reproductive system?

I am Pro-Life and agree with the nun. Abortion is the murder of a baby and is wrong. I also feel starvation, choice wars, capital punishment, and other forms are also murder.

Keep in mind most Pro-Lifers agree in helping feed the poor after birth also which is why there are homes for crisis pregnancies and charities.

• david

"...if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there."

It's possible to want a child fed and housed, but not want tax money going there. It's possible to want a child educated, but think that we should be able to do it for under $12,000 per student per year and that throwing MORE money at it won't actually help. It's possible to want these things, while recognizing that if taxes go high enough you yourself won't be able to afford your own house anymore. It's possible to want these things, but think that the federal government shouldn't be the organization to do it. It's possible to want these things, and donate a sizable amount to charitable organizations that ensure these things happen.

Some people do think the way you describe. I just don't think it's as common as you think it is. And the libertarians, the ones who think government should get out of just about all of those programs, are actually mostly pro-choice.

I do not agree with the nun. Conservatives are all about equal opportunity and protecting the institution of family! Just because many conservatives disagree with welfare doesn't mean they don't want children to succeed.

Source(s): conservative

Last time I checked abortion was still legal. And yet liberals are STILL screaming for us to feed as many children as SOME women feel like having. If Maria wants ten, GREAT. If Lakisha wants twelve, FANTASTIC. But If Kathy wants more than two we have to drag her into a tiny office and give her 'reproductive counselling' (forced medicating). I know. I WAS 'Kathy'. So was my mother.

The "nun's" argument is ridiculous. That's like saying you shouldn't oppose the murder of homeless people if you don't want to pay for social programs. You guys will never quit rationalizing.

This Conservative is Pro-Choice. Mainly because, any abortion, has the greatest potential of fewer and fewer Liberals in the future that we have to worry about getting Free Stuff.

People imagine that American lives don't matter

or those jails would be virtually empty-

and the system wold operate at full efficiency-- not full employment.

• Robert

So in other words, its better to be dead than poor than I suggest YOU propose that policy to the DNC at the convention so they can vote on that and the removal of "God" from their talking points! Its not inhumane to at the very LEAST get an abortion in the first month and not 7 months later... you will still be just as poor then as later!