Hunting Section - what are your thoughts about the killing of Cecil the Lion?

When I first heard about it I didn't pay much attention. I figured it was just another story about liberals getting upset over a legal hunt. But as I've heard more about it, it sounds like there were several legal and/or ethical issues. Consider the following: 1. There are reports that the local guides... show more When I first heard about it I didn't pay much attention. I figured it was just another story about liberals getting upset over a legal hunt.

But as I've heard more about it, it sounds like there were several legal and/or ethical issues.

Consider the following:
1. There are reports that the local guides may not have had the proper tags or permits to hunt a lion. If that's true, do you think the American who paid for a guided hunt should be held responsible?

2. They baited the lion and lured him off of a nature preserve into an area where hunting was legal. Does anyone know if baiting is legal in that area? and if so if there are any legal implications for the fact that they specifically lured the animal off of the preserve?

3. They targeted the dominant male in a pride. Anyone who knows lion behavior knows that when the dominant male is killed the remaining males will fight for dominance. The winner will kill all the cubs in the pride and several females will be hurt or killed attempting to defend their young. This means dozens more lions will die. If the hunters had targeted one of the non-dominant males none of this would happen.

4. Normally the money from guided hunts provides a great source of revenue for conservation and anti-poaching enforcement. But Cecil was a well known tourist attraction so his death will probably mean a decrease in revenue. However this is just speculation on my part.

Ultimately, was this an act of poaching? Any other thoughts or comments?
Update: Additionally, he was shot with a bow and it took an estimated 40 hours to track him and eventually kill him with a firearm. Does anyone have comments or info on whether bow hunting for lion is considered acceptable from an ethical standpoint?