Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 years ago

Why did JW's stop worshiping Jesus in 1954?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Was it 1954? Or 1984? I'm confustigated.

• 5 years ago

After at least 52 years of worshipping Jesus as God, the Watch Tower Society declared in 1954 that JWs should no longer worship Jesus. Yet the Society's Charter was not changed until 1999, removing the bit about the purpose of the Society being the worship of Jehovah AND Jesus Christ. They left it just as for the worship of Jehovah.

They were still worshipping Jesus in 1945 as this 15 October 1945 Watchtower shows:

"Now, at Christ's coming to reign as king in Jehovah's capital organization Zion, to bring in a righteous new world, Jehovah makes him infinitely higher than the godly angels or messengers and accordingly commands them to worship him...

"Since Jehovah God now reigns as King by means of his capital organization Zion, then whosoever would worship Him must also worship and bow down to Jehovah's Chief One in that capital organization, namely, Jesus Christ, his Co-regent on the throne of The Theocracy."

The 1945 Yearbook includes the Charter in full. Part of the then current charter stated as follows:

“…maintain and send out to various parts of the world Christian missionaries, teachers and instructors in the Bible and Bible literature and for public Christian worship of Almighty God and Christ Jesus; to arrange for and hold local and world-wide assemblies for such worship...” Click here to scan

http://jwfacts.com/images/watchtower-yearbook-1945...

But the first clear statement that Jesus must not be worshipped was in 1954, as far as I can tell. The 1 January Watchtower, page 31 said:

"Should we worship Jesus? ...Consequently, since the Scriptures teach that Jesus Christ is not a trinitarian co-person [sic] with God the Father, but is a distinct person [which the Trinity agrees with!] the Son of God, the answer to the above question must be that no distinct worship is to be rendered to Jesus Christ now glorified in heaven. Our worship is to go to Jehovah God." Yet it wasn't til 1999 that the Charter was changed, to confine worship to Jehovah alone, according to the link you give!

You ask why the JWs stopped worshipping Jesus. The simple answer is that their leaders claimed to have had 'increased light' on the matter, so when they told all JWs to no longer worship Jesus, they all did as they were told, no questions asked.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I advise you not to search things of Jws in websites taht are not trustworthy be very careful. You should search for the real facts on www.jw.org the reall Jehovah's Witnesses website.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Linda
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

We have never called ourselves Jesus' witnesses have we? I believe that contradicts whatever else you have been told.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

We obtained a more accurate understanding of the Bible's teachings.

• ...Show all comments
    • trugoy
      Lv 6
      5 years agoReport

Sadly, those 99% will hear Jesus say "Get away from me.I never knew you". Still want to be that 99?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.