Why does conservative media claim universities are actively indoctrinating students in liberal ideals?

I am a college student and often listen to conservative radio and hear this a lot, but I don't know what they mean. When I go to school I'm learning about math, finance, marketing, biology, how to write good papers and give good speeches. I'm not taught lessons about gays, abortions, redistribution of wealth, or any political agendas. Maybe it's because I'm in red state Idaho?

Have you witnessed other examples? I'd like to hear what's going on.

Favorite Answer

try this....take up a tradionally conservative view on a number of issue..

say something like "I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.."

...or "I oppose government-funded abortions".... or make a snarky comment about Bruce Jenner..

then tell me... are these comments met with open-mindedness and tolerance? do they invite open and productive discourse? Or are they shunned and suppressed?

Because they hate education. They hate actual information even more. There's a reason why Ted Cruz doesn't want NASA to do actual climate change research.

I went to a small liberal arts college, and never had a professor try to influence me politically. But then, I'm a Canadian.

Republicans hate any kind of new thoughts, and they especially hate anyone that tries to teach others to think for themselves.

The "indoctrination" thing is just a talking point that cons pulled out of their butts to bolster their case that universities are full of communists. The same kind of attitude was taken in the 60s, when all those students were protesting the Vietnam war.

It's no mistake that dictatorial regimes always go after the intellectuals as the first order of business, and the place to find them is in the universities. The Nazis purged all the Jews from teaching positions, and the Bolsheviks did too after the October Revolution. Educated people are "politically unreliable," and threaten groups who demand conformity.

• ?

Maybe the talk radio idiots are talking about political science classes. My Chemistry classes never talked about any of that stuff either and I went to college in a state with an identity crisis .. Blue state for 100 + years, turning red over the last 20 years. I thought I wanted to be an accountant for a while, so I took 2 1/2 years of business classes. If anything, the business classes I took were an "indoctrination" into capitalism.

Politics usually don't have much of an impact on the fields you mentioned. But take some classes in Economics, History, Sociology, Anthropology, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Women's Studies, or African American Studies, and you'll see what they mean.

When I went to college 20 years ago (in the Northeast), they couldn't inject the liberal agendas strongly enough. Every subject managed to find its way into one cool leftie issue or another. If you disagreed, it really could affect your grade. I have heard that it has only become worse since then.

BECAUSE THEY DO IT.

THE KOCH BROTHERS GIVE MILLIONS TO UNIVERSITIES, THEN DICTATE HOW THEY TEACH ECONOMICS, EVEN HAVE DENIED APPLICANTS FOR TEACHING POSITIONS.

Remember when they claimed Obama was trying to "indoctrinate our children" when he was going to address the school kids on the first day of class? THREE WEEKS LATER THE "TEA PARTY COLORING BOOK" CAME OUT.

NO JOKE.

I remember in basic biology back at the community college about 15 years ago the professor told us matter of factly that the Global Warming fraud was due to humans destroying the planet.

I bet when you watch TV and movies you dont notice any bias either.

It gets their viewers all riled up and raises their ratings.