I need an honest opinion?

Sorry, I just need a quick opinion on the sculpture I did in the picture below. I'm 14, it's the fifth one of these ive done, and, my parents say my sculptures are really good, and im not sure if it's actually good or if they're just saying that, because my friends tell me its terrible every time they see it. I need opinoins, because I plan to make it into a poseable art doll and the materials for making them are expensive. So please dont sugar coat anything, and if you have any tips for me could you please leave them in the answers? The clay I use is sculpey III because thats what I've grown to like the most. Thanks for any help I get.

Favorite Answer

I think it's quite good, and certainly for your age but any age. Your friends may just be reacting to the fact that you're sculpting something to be used for a doll/puppet/etc (in other words, anything but a scary or violent figure or one for a "game" especially if you're male), or they may be insecure as mentioned, or just like to put you down in general. Or if you talk about it "too much," they may be shutting you down that way. Who knows? But it's clear you have both interest and ability in sculpting. Unfortunately, artists/crafters/etc often have to develop thick skin.

And btw, the fact that you've done several of these before doesn't take away from what you've done with this one. Most all artists do the same thing "in series" to really learn the ins and outs of doing that thing, to perfect their techniques, and to try out and get ideas for new variations.

The only thing I'd mention is that some brands/lines of polymer clay will not be as strong as you might want after baking, and Sculpey III is one of those lines (original plain Sculpey is the worst of all the polymer clays, with Craftsmart and SuperSculpey being about the same as Sculpey III...however SuperSculpey is often used for sculpts and if it's just baked a long time till it's browned, it will be at least somewhat stronger and can then just be painted over with white gesso/acrylic then two coats of acrylic, etc).

The brittleness of those Polyform products shows up mostly in any thin or projecting areas, so solid and rounded areas aren't a problem.

But your character's nose is somewhat projecting, and the ears are both thin and quite projecting. Even if you use a strong permanent armature inside the clay ears, they'd probably chip or break if stressed just because their thinness projects out *so* much.

If your art figure would be used only for display and handled very little (and gently if so), the ears wouldn't be a problem. But if it would get any use, unfortunately they'll eventually break in all likelihood.

If you use a stronger polymer clay** especially for areas that are thin or projecting, you can avoid those problems although even stronger clays would probably benefit from permanent armatures inside anything that large, thin and projecting.

You also don't mention whether there's a permanent armature inside the head itself, and polymer clay generally shouldn't be thicker than 1 1/4" without one mostly because it will be prone to cracking during baking.

Thick parts can also be made lighter in weight by using lightweight permanent armatures like tightly-scrunched aluminum foil, paper-based air-dry clays, even "styrofoam" balls covered with foil, and more.

Are you also baking your heads well enough to make them as durable as possible?

If you're interested in more about permanent armatures and sculpting with polymer clay, check out some of my previous answers here which will also include the sculpting pages at my polymer clay "encyclopedia" site:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110...

.....Or just go to the Table of Contents page for my site:

http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

Then scroll down to the section of pages that deal with sculpting (colored light-blue) to see the 6 main sculpting pages there and what's covered on each one.

You might also want to check out the Christmas, Halloween/Etc, and Kids pages to find more figures that are sculpted.

(To then go to any of the pages, use the alphabetical navigation bar on the left side of any page.)

You might also consider playing with epoxy type clays for making sculpts. Apoxie Sculpt is one good brand.

A few air-dry clays are also used for making doll heads and some figures. LaDoll would be one good brand there.

** for pre-colored clays, those would be Kato Polyclay, Fimo Classic, Sculpey's Souffle, Premo, Cernit, and probably FimoSoft

...for flesh-colored clays or other solid colors, they would be ProSculpt, PuppenFimo (Doll Fimo), etc, and SuperSculpey-Firm (gray)

(and you can buy 12oz to 1 lb sizes of many of those online, if you want)

Good for age. Good anyway. Going to be hard to market at a price people will pay in the form of a full doll - polymer clay is costly as you say and you will be pricing against Asia made mass markets. Difference in opinions may be due to difference in ages - parents are thinking kindly back to a number of older movies, while friends remember snatches from those movies as be hold and junky

Well before I read the question and just saw that picture I thought it was real and was a bit freaked out. But honestly for 14 years old that's amazing it looks like a toy you buy at the store you should seriously continue with this. No sugar coating I mean it. If your friends say it's bad then their either jealous or they must be some devinci themselves. Honestly don't listen to them take my advice and continue!

They are amazing. I didn't know a 14 year old could do such good work

Cute πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’“πŸ’žπŸ’•

Your parents are right, it is good.

DUDE, THAT IS SO COOL!! Keep it up kid.