Chevy Volt vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3?

Hey guys, I'm 17 years old and going to be a senior in high school. My parents are thinking of buying me a car. They want to go electric so that I don't have to waste money at the pump. They told me to do some research and come narrow down to some cars I like. Initially I liked the Volt by Chevy, while my... show more Hey guys,

I'm 17 years old and going to be a senior in high school. My parents are thinking of buying me a car. They want to go electric so that I don't have to waste money at the pump. They told me to do some research and come narrow down to some cars I like. Initially I liked the Volt by Chevy, while my dad liked the Leaf(nobody else In the family likes it so it's probably out of the running). While I was researching however, I found out about the Model 3 by Tesla which will come out near 2017 with a wait list starting in 2016. It's pricing is identical to the Volt at 35,000$ and a 7500$ federal rebate, but the Tesla would be getting 200 miles range instead of 50 and the Gas engine on the Volt. I really like the Tesla car that is coming out soon, as I am a very safe driver. Furthermore, I have a job so I am offering to muster up money until the wait list to pay for part of the car with my father. I wanted your take on this, as the main problem is getting my father to wait until 2017. Anything I could do?