Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 5 years ago

Chevy Volt vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3?

Hey guys,

I'm 17 years old and going to be a senior in high school. My parents are thinking of buying me a car. They want to go electric so that I don't have to waste money at the pump. They told me to do some research and come narrow down to some cars I like. Initially I liked the Volt by Chevy, while my dad liked the Leaf(nobody else In the family likes it so it's probably out of the running). While I was researching however, I found out about the Model 3 by Tesla which will come out near 2017 with a wait list starting in 2016. It's pricing is identical to the Volt at 35,000$ and a 7500$ federal rebate, but the Tesla would be getting 200 miles range instead of 50 and the Gas engine on the Volt. I really like the Tesla car that is coming out soon, as I am a very safe driver. Furthermore, I have a job so I am offering to muster up money until the wait list to pay for part of the car with my father. I wanted your take on this, as the main problem is getting my father to wait until 2017. Anything I could do?

Favorite Answer

The 200-mile range is for the base model (Tesla says there will be additional, longer-range models for a premium (probably in the $1,500-$3,000 range). Note that no matter which car you buy, you will need a charging station, which runs in the $500-$1,000 range depending on how much power the station can produce. There are quick charging stations that you can buy that will charge your car in just a couple of hours (it will depend on how many amps it will be able to draw). And remember, electricity is not free (unless you have solar, etc., and even then you had to pay for the system). However, you will save a great deal of money on oil changes, etc. with an electric vehicle. As for the rebate, don't necessarily count on it as the federal and some state governments are trying to phase it out. As for waiting until 2017, the 2016 Chevy Bolt could be a nice contender as it will be a little cheaper than the Tesla but have the same 200+ mile range.

Forget the Tesla unless you have less than a 50 mile one way daily drive. I like the Chevy volt. Why? Because Chevy was making electric cars when there was no interest in them 20 years ago. Read about the EV1 from 1980. By the way, in 2017, Chevy is coming out with the Bolt. It is supposed to be head and shoulders above Tesla!

Depends on what miles you do, what you like may not be suitable as they all take hours to recharge and even then the range is not great. A $7500 rebate is common as they know they are way overpriced for what they are as only people that do very low mileage will ever buy one. You need to look at each ones range and figure out if you can live with that.