kai asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 years ago

If I building a new computer, can I get my operating system from g2a.com?

So I'm building a new PC and I looked on G2A for windows 8.1, I found it for around 20 dollars, how ever I don't know how I would get it from my laptop to my new PC

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

If you bought the PC components from a company that sells assembled systems, they are usually allowed to sell you an OEM version of the Windows operating system too. OEM versions are severely discounted copies of the operating system, but are only supposed to be sold with any new PC purchases. It's Microsoft's way to get you to keep installing Windows on your PCs instead of you deciding to switch to a free open-source operating system like Ubuntu, SUSE, or Red Hat.

Looking at the G2A website, I'm not sure I would trust buying my Windows operating system from there. Nothing wrong with G2A, as they appear to just put sellers together with buyers. But I would worry that the seller may have already activated the Windows key by registering it, and so when you then try to do so, you have an "illegal" copy and wasted $20 or so on useless software.

What I would do is see if you can buy a new copy of Windows 7 Home or Pro. I've seen that for about $60 on sale (try TigerDirect or Amazon). Then you update that after installation to Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Why? Because starting on July 29th 2015, Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 available to all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users for free. You download and install the upgrade direct from Microsoft so you know it's not full of spyware and it has a valid license.

All that you'd be getting from G2A.com, my friend, is a product key. You'd need to download the Windows 8.1 .iso file and burn it to DVD yourself.

As SteveN correctly states, you're taking a chance that the key issued to you hasn't already been activated elsewhere. If it has, as soon as Microsoft become aware that the key has been used on multiple computers you will get a message stating that you may be the victim of copyright theft or that your copy of Windows isn't genuine. Soon after, you will begin to lose functionality. i.e. you won't be able to download updates, and programs will begin giving errors. Eventually, your computer will become unusable.