Lv 7
asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 6 years ago

If you're born in the United States, does that automatically make you a citizen according to the 14th amendment?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, unless you are a child of a diplomat or a foreign soldier who just happens to be posted to the US. By international convention, they are not subject to US law. That's the one exception stated in the 14th Amendment - they are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" (i.e. of the US). Anyone else born on US soil is "subject to [US] jurisdiction" and is therefore a US citizen.

Which can be extremely annoying. I answered a question a while ago from a British citizen who was born in the US simply because his parents happened to be there at the time. It turns out that because he's a US citizen as well just by accident of birth, now he's adult he has to file taxes regardless of the fact that he has no income that is even conceivably taxable in the US, and no British bank will let him have a bank account (because of FAFCA rules). He doesn't WANT US citizenship as he has no intention of ever living there, and now the US is charging $2,350 to give it up. But a lot of expatriate Americans want to because of the bank account problem. So much for a free country, I say. He's got no choice but to cough up the money.

• 6 years ago

Yes, with one exception. If you are not subject to the laws of the US, like being born to a foreign diplomat, you are not automatically a Natural citizen.

• lare
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

yes, but that is an obligation of the United States which you can renounce. if you have dual citizenship, because of your parents for instance, then you may decline your American citizenship once you come of age. you can also renounce American citizenship if you become a citizen of a foreign country via naturalization. that happens sometimes in the case of refugees and defectors. until you renounce your American citizenship, you have full rights and duties, including tax obligations.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.