Is this a good pokemon team? How could I make it better? (10 point?)?

Alright I've been playing pokemon showdown for awhile, and I wanted to know what are my strengths and weaknesses with my team, and how I can deal with them. I'll give points for best answer! :)

Charizard @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Solar Power

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD

- Fire Blast

- Solar Beam

- Roost

- Earthquake

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe

Careful Nature

- Rock Slide

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Fake Out

- Knock Off

- Icicle Crash

- Poison Jab

Slowking @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Psychic

- Scald

- Thunder Wave

- Slack Off

Scrafty @ Assault Vest

Ability: Shed Skin

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Careful Nature

- Drain Punch

- Knock Off

- Ice Punch

- Thunder Punch

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

Calm Nature

- Calm Mind

- Moonblast

- Soft-Boiled

- Flamethrower

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 6
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So far, I like this team, but I feel like it does have a couple of exploitable weaknesses. First of all, your team has a problem with entry hazards, notably Stealth Rock. Charizard absolutely loathes Stealth Rock, and Weavile isn't crazy about it either. Unfortunately, you don't have a way to clear Entry Hazards off the field, which will severely limit the number of times your Pokemon can switch in.

Second, for a team with as many tanky Pokemon as you have, your team seems have some flaws defensively with certain types. In particular, in the cases of Rock, Water, Fairy, and Electric-type Pokemon, you have two Pokemon weak to those types but only one resistor. For instance, if Charizard is KOed, you lose your only Fairy resistor. This would leave Scrafty exposed, and losing him would deprive you of your only Rock resistor. Without Scrafty, Weavile is now vulnerable to Rock moves, and so on.

Here are my individual suggestions for your Pokemon, coupled with two replacements that I would strongly consider:

1) CHARIZARD. I like Charizard as the focal point of this team, and I would only make one change. Earthquake with a -Attack nature and no investment isn't going to be doing much of anything. In it's place, I would use one of two moves:

a) FOCUS BLAST: Focus Blast has shaky accuracy and you lose coverage against other Fire-types, yes, but Focus Blast can absolutely annihilate one of Mega Charizard Y's major counters: Tyranitar. Tyranitar's Sand Stream will remove the Sun that Mega Charizard Y desperately needs, bears a Fire resistance that lets it tank a Fire Blast, and carries base 100 HP and base 110 SpDef (coupled with a +50% SpDef boost in Sand) which lets it sponge Solar Beam with ease. Focus Blast, however, will OHKO Tyranitar with ease.

b) DRAGON PULSE: Dragon-types, notably Garchomp and Dragonite, resist both Fire Blast and Solar Beam. Dragon Pulse gives some useful coverage against these Pokemon.

2) GLISCOR: I love Specially Defensive Gliscor as a mixed wall, but I'm not a fan of this moveset. Earthquake is always good, as is Stealth Rock, but Rock Slide seems out of place and won't do much without STAB or any Attack investment. Protect is okay, but I feel like it isn't Gliscor's best option here and suffers from Four Move Syndrome. Here is the moveset I would use instead:

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Roost

- Toxic/Taunt

Roost is a must on Gliscor (or any defensive Pokemon, for that matter), even with Poison Heal providing healing. The last slot is to make sure that Gliscor isn't treated as setup bait. Taunt will prevent boosting, healing , and entry hazard setup, while Toxic will put a timer on setup sweepers.

3) WEAVILE: I like Weavile, but I don't think Fake Out is your best priority option. I would use Ice Shard in its place; Ice Shard gets STAB and can be used repeatedly without having to switch out.

4) SLOWKING: This Pokemon feels like a wasted opportunity. You already have a stellar Specially Defensive Pokemon in Gliscor, and it feels like Slowking doesn't add much of value. Thus, I'd swap Slowking out for:

STARMIE @ Choice Specs/Wise Glasses

Ability: Analytic/Natural Cure

EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Nature: Timid

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

- Thunderbolt

- Rapid Spin

The primary move on this set is Rapid Spin, clearing away Stealth Rock and other Entry Hazards. Hydro Pump provides a powerful STAB, while the other two moves give coverage. Choice Specs gives better power, but Wise Glasses lets you change moves. As far as the ability goes, Analytic is useful for whacking an opponent on the switch, but Natural Cure lets Starmie serve as a Status absorber.

5) SCRAFTY: I like this Scrafty as a tank, just be careful. Without a healing move or Wish support, Scrafty will get worn down faster than you think.

However, with the next Pokemon I'm going to suggest, you may want to take a more offensive take on Scrafty, perhaps as a Dragon Dance sweeper or something to that effect.

6) CLEFABLE: This is the Pokemon that I feel doesn't add much. You already have plenty of Special offense between Mega Charizard Y and Starmie, and Clefable doesn't provide any useful defensive coverage (apart from Dragon, which will be dealt with shortly). As such, I might go with something like this:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP, 88 Def, 162 SpD

Relaxed Nature

0 Spe IV

- Gyro Ball

- Spikes

- Leech Seed

- Thunder Wave/Power Whip

Ferrothorn gives you the Rock, Water, Electric, and Fairy resistances your team sorely needs, retains the Dragon resistance that Clefable had, and it will lure in Fire and Fighting types which Charizard and Starmie can use to switch in. Spikes gives another Entry Hazard to play around with, while Leech Seed gives a relatively reliable source of healing (it also can make switching a little more palatable, as one of your Pokemon can switch, take a hit, then use Leech Seed to heal off the damage). Thunder Wave gives you some status support to throw around with the loss of Slowking, while Power Whip will punish any Water-type that dares to stay in.

Source(s): I've been playing Pokemon since the days of Red and Blue.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Paul
      Lv 6
      5 years agoReport

As for bulkier Pokemon that can get Entry Hazards off the field, Excadrill w/ Rapid Spin, and Scizor, Latias, Mandibuzz, and Skarmory w/ Defog are good bets.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.