If a Christian court clerk can deny a marriage license to gay couples, can a Muslim DMV/DPS clerk deny a driver's license to a woman?

A number of influential Saudi clerics argue that allowing women to drive "undermines social values" and goes against the teachings of Allah.

If a Muslim worked for the state Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Public Safety (depending on your state), should they be allowed to deny a driver's license to a woman on religious grounds?

Are these equivalent? Or is marriage just different?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

well.. in the great state (country??) of Texas... the State Attorney general actually advises county clerks that THEY CAN refuse such things based on their religious beliefs, and defy the Supreme court. Down here, we all "know" that the highest attorney in Texas and even lowly county clerks have more legal knowledge than the Supreme court. Based on Ken Paxton's analysis.. you are right, a Muslim clerk could deny a license to a woman. It is the same thing.

Some of us have figured out that the AG in Texas probably got his law degree in a box of Cracker Jacks. And subjected himself to reprimand from the State Bar Association or (I wish), being disbarred.

• Thomas4 years agoReport

Ma'am, I LIVE IN TEXAS, AND THEY CAN'T REFUSE DOING THAT BASED ON THEIR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, NO MATTER HOW INDEPENDENT OUR RULES ARE AS OPPOSED TO THE ENTIRE US!

• 4 years ago

Actually, that "women can't drive" law is only in SOME Islamic countries, not in the entirety of Islam, so no. And, technically, a Christian court clerk CAN'T deny a marriage license to a gay couple.

• 4 years ago

No Under the law, you regardless of your personal opinions you need to do the job, and if you can not,resign so someone else can.

When I was at LMDC, I felt that some of the inmates I was releasing were guilty as sin, but per court order, I had to release them of the high profile crime they allegedly committed.

Or better yet per court order put someone on home incarnation program(HIP) who was up on high capital charges.(And the court and judge wonder why the inmate cut the ankle bracelet or escapes with it on.)

US State laws on the books are very different from Sharia laws of Saudi Arabia.

State laws have to be enacted by a state legislative members not religious men of the cloth.

A woman who felt she was discriminated against a state employee, will file a complaint with the DMV and the file a civil lawsuit like the gay couples have done to several KY. county clerks.

Source(s): My last profession at LMDC
  • 4 years ago

It is the equivalent.

Public servants can't claim a religious exemption to performing their jobs.

I will now break for a moment of irrationally claiming Sharia law is being introduced.

IT"S SHARIA LAW! THEY"RE DECLARING SHARIA LAW!

They can shuffle it around the office all they want, but if all the clerks in the office refuse to issue a license, you'll see a law suit filed, law suit won, and a payout.

What we have here is the new "cross on the city seal" issue. An easy to win law suit, which is going to impoverish a few cities as they pay legal cost and penalties.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Sharia law is NOT based on the Koran. It amazes me how many people are so ignorant to the point of thinking that it is. Yes, in Saudi Arabia they can deny a driver's license to a woman, but it is the US government that supports the Saudis. Remember that.

• wendy c
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

you have no clue what this question is even about

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Your query poses an interesting point. But here's the real deal: we do not hire or elect religious leaders or religious "moolahs" to government posts, and we do not allow government official or government personnel to abuse their post by imposing their own personal beliefs on others. Those in Texass who are abusing their little supposed fiefdom will continue doing so until they're sued in a court of law for imposing their religious views or religious intolerance on others, and are jailed and/or fined. You and everyone else has the right to believe WHATEVER you want but you are not allowed to discriminate in public matters or government matters or commercial matters with the public. Simple as that.

When people first discovered the New world, they came here risking their lives in awfully long and dangerous voyages over oceans to seek religious freedom, they were escaping religious intolerances in their homelands... other religious groups were imposing their religious views on others. That is why the Founding Fathers saw to it that we have Separation of Church and State in America, in our Bill of Rights of our Constitution. If those fools in Texass cannot bring themselves to obey, abide and follow the laws, then they should step aside and let some else do the job and adhere to the laws of the land. NO ONE is above the laws of the Land in America.

• 4 years ago

the Christian clerks are already getting fired or quitting, they should. the same goes for Saudi clerks at the DMV. they will be fired.

no one is forcing them to get married to the same sex or be driven somewhere by a woman. they have religious liberty in that respect.

• notned
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Perfectly equivillent. A government official basing law on his religion.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Technically yes. Religious freedom doesn't just mean for one religion.

• 4 years ago

Seems reasonable, of course DMV employees are not "elected" officials.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.