Karthik asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 years ago

Why do Republicans like the Confederate flag?

I am wondering why the republicans like the confederate flag? I thought the republicans say they are the party of Lincoln and Dr. Martin Luther King. What happened to supporting these people. I don't think they would like the flag flying.

Favorite Answer

You let yourself be played for a fool if you think only "Republicans like" the flag. It is not about politics. For as long as I can remember, the Confederate flag has been able to shed some of it's Civil war symbolisms and become, for many in the South, simply a symbol of Southern Pride (albeit with a dash of defiant attitude). It became accepted enough in this role, among other things, one could see this reflected in family friendly TV shows like The Dukes of Hazard, NASCAR events and as the backdrop for any number of Southern rock bands. NONE of which having anything to do with racism, and NONE of these venues have ever been associated with being traitorous as has also been alleged lately too. Can people, shows and events be benign one day and “found” to be racist and suborning treason the next?

Now, I understand that there are those who still see the flag as a symbol of oppression, even racism, perhaps even justifiable and understandable in their views. White supremacists, looking for a symbol in an attempt to give their agendas validity, have used the Confederate flag AND US flag, tarnishing them both in the process. Is the US flag racist too simply because those people embrace it for their purposes? I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag falling out of favor in an evolution of attitude, I do have a serious problem with it being the victim of the knee-jerk, politically-correct reaction that has happened over the last few weeks, all due to a SINGLE picture of Dyann Roof holding a Confederate flag. ANYTHING being this much of a victim of fickle political-correctness should make you worry. What other things could fall victim to rabid PC, maybe even to something you have backed?

Perhaps you need a little history lesson. Republicans fought and died to take that flag down. What we like is the 1st Amendment. I'm a conservative and I regard the confederate flag as a symbol of loss, like the Imperial Japanese Rising Sun Flag, the Imperial German Flag, or the Nazi Flag. However, if people want to fly it, we do live in a free country.

I know, the 1st amendment only applies when people agree with you. Typical liberal.

Actually it was the Democrats who are responsible for the confederate flag. It was the Republicans who marched with Martin Luther King while the Democrats blocked black people from entering schools.

Its this lack of education that led to the election and re-election of the worst President in American history.

I like the confederate flag because it makes for good toilet paper.

Reps paid attention to history and don't associate that flag with negativity.

They're so patriotic that they like to fly a rebel flag.

Personally, I have no issue with people flying whatever flag they want on their own property, but I don't think the flag should fly at a state capital.

• ?

They have a primitive belief system that places great emotional importance on symbols - sort of like the way children are easily distracted by shiny objects and trinkets.

RePIGnicans are just kissing the rectums of racists in hopes that said racists will vote for them.

The flag is harmless.

Does it matter? I thought Liberals were all about free speech. And that is all it is.