What does the expression, "Well, you smug the rooster" mean?

• ?

Never heard it, but upon looking up "smug" in the Oxford English Dictionary I discovered that it's an old slang term for "to steal."

So "well, you steal/stole the rooster" might mean "well, you got away with pulling off a tricky trick" or something. Or maybe it's like "you take the cake" which means "you're extraordinary" (in either a good or bad way). Just guessing, though.

Are you talking about the Alice and Chains song "Rooster"?? If so then the lyrics are actually "Come to snuff the Rooster" and the song is about Jerry Cantrell's dad surviving Vietnam. He had red hair hence the nickname Rooster. If what you are saying is not in reference to that song then I'm not sure what they're talking about. Maybe "Smug the Rooster" is like another form of the "Choke the Chicken" innuendo.