Nick asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 years ago

Could someone who served in the military for 4 years (1 contract) immediately become an ATF agent?

I don't want to reenlist in the Army. I noticed to become an ATF agent you do not need a degree although I have started one. Is it possible to go straight out of your first contract in the military to the ATF? Anybody have any experience with this. It would be much appreciated

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not very likely. The ATF is one of the very few federal agencies that will hire people without a degree. But you need a decent amount of law enforcement experience to make up for it if you don't have one. And still aren't likely to get it without the degree. Of course you know that it doesn't matter how many years you have in the military you're not very likely to get in without a degree. Most guys who get in without degrees not only have law enforcement experience, but likely have already served on a federal task force. Where they were still employed by and getting paid by their local agency, but are working with the ATF or DEA basically as agents.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You don't officially need a degree reality is 85% of ATF agents have degrees

Nothing about being in the military would make getting into the ATF any easier, except the two point veterans preference

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

highly unlikely without years of experience in Law enforcement first. and NOT as a 'gate guard'

and FTR just because the official policy does not require one, the reality is, in order to have any hop in hell of being competitive for a job with ATF, you NEED A DEGREE.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes, you need a degree. Even if it isn't officially listed, to be in federal law enforcement you have to have a BA/S, likely more, to have any hope of selection.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

go to the atf web page and click on the career link

gees, how hard is that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.