Why don't folks supporting the Confederate flag just say "I'm a Racist"?

The only historical significance of the Rebel flag is it differentiated those states that believed they had the right to kidnap individuals from Africa for free labor and those that believe in freedom and human rights.

Favorite Answer

This gentleman said it better than I could:

1. The Confederate flag in its current form was adopted by the seceding slave states to differentiate their banner from the Stars and Stripes on the battlefield. It isn’t a symbol of regionalism. It is a symbol of violent attack on the Union.

2. Those who fought beneath the Confederate flag were fighting to retain slavery. They wanted an economic system in which they could kidnap people from Africa and coerce them into working for no salary. Any individual found kidnapping people today and coercing their labor for no remuneration would go straight to jail. So why should the flag symbolizing these activities be retained?

3. The flag was a symbol of Jim Crow segregation laws in the American South, which resembled those of Apartheid South Africa.

4. The flag was used in the 1950s and after as a symbol of opposition to the Civil Rights movement.

5. The flag has been adopted as a symbol by many members of the white supremacist and KKK movements. Putting it in the statehouse just makes it look as though the state condones that sort of thing.

Mr. Cole 6/22/15

• Mr Monster
      4 years agoReport

The American flag has been used for far more evil than the Confederate flag, why does it still fly?

The Confederate flag doesn't symbolize slavery. It's not racist, it's not traitorous, it's not anti-american. In fact, the people who wave the confederate flag are normally the best patriots you can imagine.

The flag is merely about Southern pride. It's part of a lifestyle that people like you are killing. In fact, I think you're racist for even thinking that people like me are racist. The flag is heritage, not hate.

After all, plenty of innocent blood has been spilled for the American flag, should we ban the American flag.

Why don't folks who criticize these people just say that "I'm a sanctimonious elitist that knows what everyone is thinking?".

The Confederate flag doesn't really do anything for me, but I don't pretend that I can read the minds of people who do fly the flag.

Because they're not jackasses like you. The Confederate flab might mean that to you, but if you were able to think and reflect on the issue (deeper than your obviously bumper-sticker level intellect) you would discover the amazing concept that not everybody sees things the same.

Yes, you have a liberal herd mentality, to be sure, and when your bellwether directed you to go hysterical over that flag, you went, "Baa! Baa!"

But not everybody is shallow or stupid, and those who are not recognize that people who were born and grew up over the last 4 to 5 decades did not grow up with it being a symbol of Democratic Party racism and oppression, but instead as a symbol of Southern heritage that did not include the Democratic Party hate and oppression.

Or you could look at it from the southern point of view. Yankees are really good at "Yes, we made a deal, but it's no longer to our advantage, so we're coming to your house to kill you."

You know nothing of history do your research you will discover far from representing slavery it represented freedom you will also find that Lincoln never wanted to free slaves. He wanted to force states not to cede from the union. Also factually you should check kout what president Johnson had to say after signing civil rights bill. If the south is so redneck and racist why would so many in north want southern colleges to educate their kids

• crazy

I see it as a part of history. Its from the civil war and the battle flag of the south. If I was from the south, I would fly one, along side the stars and stripes. Im just saying... If I had a Great Grandfather from that time and he fought in the civil war, under that flag. Damm right I would fly it! Its not about racism. It was a time of war.

The majority that fought in the civil war were middle class, or poor. They didn't own slaves.

• Marie Q4 years agoReport

The leaders in the military were wealthy white men.

If you check your history you will find African tribes kidnapped other opposing tribe members and sold them to the slave traders. Southerners just bought them, which I do not condone but it was a different time.

I wonder if a libtard could make it through one day without calling someone a racist. It is like alcoholism.