Why is the Confederate flag so widely used in the United States?

Did people forget that this is the flag of an insurrection in the United States? An insurrection that costed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans? Not to mention it's for one of the worst causes in history for rebellion, the preservation of slavery. For those Southern sympathizers who object, read... show more Did people forget that this is the flag of an insurrection in the United States? An insurrection that costed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans? Not to mention it's for one of the worst causes in history for rebellion, the preservation of slavery.

For those Southern sympathizers who object, read the Declaration of Causes for Succession and the words of Confederate "Vice president" Alexander Stephens. it was for slavery. Every conflict in the United States prior to the Civil War was over slavery, and they seceded because they were afraid that Lincoln, a Republican, would try to abolish slavery.
Update: For christ's sake. You people and your intentional misinterpretations of what I say. When I said "every conflict prior to the Civil War" I meant right before the Civil War. Not since 1775! But the over all conflict between North and South over slavery does date back to the Revolution. I mean Bleeding... show more For christ's sake. You people and your intentional misinterpretations of what I say.
When I said "every conflict prior to the Civil War" I meant right before the Civil War. Not since 1775! But the over all conflict between North and South over slavery does date back to the Revolution. I mean Bleeding Kansas, John Brown, the slave revolts which led to the black codes, the founding of the Republican Party, the annexation of Texas. All these political and even physical conflicts.