What is this "heritage" and "history" of the Confederate flag, that is so great that it should fly on capitol grounds?

If the history and heritage does NOT have anything to do with slavery, then what is it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Confederate flag, and I suppose a lot of symbols, means different things to different people. One thing that I think is important to consider in the specific issue of the flag flying on the South Carolina state capital grounds (which I haven't seen discussed very much), is why they started flying it there in the first place. The flag was not always there. In fact, it wasn't flown at the state capital in modern times until 1961, presumably as part of the centennial anniversary of the beginning of the civil war. However, it was also a symbol of southern defiance of the civil rights movement - a "state's rights" opposition to desegregation.

Given this history, I think it's pretty clear that it's time for the flag to come down. I'm not advocating "banning" it, nor do I completely disagree with some who feel the flag represents more than just "team slavery" from the civil war. However, given the history that the flag wasn't even there until 1961 when a burgeoning civil rights movement inspired its addition to the State flag mast, I have to side with those who want it taken down.

Individuals can fly the flag in their own yards if they want. But the state government is there to represent all the people. And if a significant portion of that constituency is offended by its symbolism and history, then it should not be there.

• katie4 years agoReport

That is my argument. What is the original reason it was put up? If the reason was to keep a group of people down, then why keep it up? It all boils down to the original meaning given to it.

• 4 years ago

No one said it did NOT, but the argument is that there IS a good part to the history in that flag which Southerners created in the wake of the Civil War.

For an interesting perspective on it, read the "soapbox" Charlie Daniels put on his site...he talks about how it was for Southerners when he was young and how the flag gave them something to bring them together. He writes about his views on it and the civil rights movements and shows that it is not JUST the negative that people want to see now.

The Warlock

• blu
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

It's about sore losers, treason, racism, hubris and the inability to admit being wrong. The south is trying win w/ hate.

The Confederate flag went up at the S. Car. Capitol in 1962 as opposition to the civil rights movement.

People have been objecting to it as offensive for many yrs.

It took a massacre in a church to draw enough attention to the association the flag contributes to the huge racism problem in America.

It belongs in a museum but historically righties are too stubborn to move on after their repeated defeats.

• 4 years ago

It represents a spirit of independence and rebellion against the forces working against you (such as "yanks"). It represents a tie to people's past. Slavery is only a facet of what caused the civil war, but people act like there was nothing but slavery involved.

Lincoln didn't even run as an abolitionist. He was fine with the South keeping their slavery, but insisted all new states be free. The South knew more free states would lead to them being outnumbered in Congress and in time they'd lose their power. That was one of the reasons, including trade issues, manufacturing monopolies, and many other things that caused them to try to rebel and leave the US.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The interesting thing is, it's not even the real Confederate flag. It's the flag of the Northern Virginia Army. Which means it shouldn't be of any interest to anyone outside of northern Virginia. Unless it's been adopted to mean something other than "heritage" and "history".

Source(s): We don't fly the Japanese or German flags (Swastika or otherwise) at any of our capitol buildings. Why the flag of this particular former enemy of the U.S.? Just askin', don't get all pissy.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

In the case of the Civil War, I always thought that Southerners were rightly proud of their military leadership, who gave the better-equipped Union army a good fight, despite the odds.

That's why names like Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson are so deeply associated with the US Armed Forces... The were good soldiers who (formerly) served the Union and who surrendered eventually or were killed in battle.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It is the heritage to own black people. They are proud that their ancestors, southern social conservative Democrats, rebelled against giving up their states' rights to have slaves. Many think that it is just drinking mint juleps on the veranda under the shade a magnolia trees.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It's part of the MYTH of the Lost Cause.

• 4 years ago

Check out Nikki Haley's Facebook page...the torrent of vile racist opposition to her signing clearly show what that flag represents.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Same reason people have black pride, Mexican pride, Italian pride, etc....people are proud of where they come from.

Most people who see the navy jack flag think of sweet tea, bbq and horseshoes.

FACT.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.